Aviatrr

Triple risers

Mike,
If I'm correct, triple-risers are used on very-high-performance canopies or with extreme wing-loadings. The idea is that by taking the toggles off of the rear risers and allowing them to rest more to the side it decreases deformity in the canopy during agressive flight.
It's basically in the same tool-box as stowing your slider behind your head to reduce drag and loosening the chest-stap after opening to allow the canopy to spread out a little further.
Kris

Hey mike,
alot of the instructors at Skydive U have em and also the regular instructors at Sebastian have em. talk to Patrick Osbourne, Anne, or Jerry...they all have em.
like Kris said, they let the canopy expand just that little bit more to give better flight. The guys also said something about helping with front risering also...not sure about this though.
Marc
Because I fly, I envy no man on earth

Hmm.. I'll have to look a bit closer at 'em.. I'll be loading either a Crossfire or a Cobalt at about 1.5-1.6, depending on my final choice.. Anything to make life easier/riser pressures lighter is a good thing in my mind.. Then again, I'm a lazy bastard.. :)Mike

Triple risers are used by the top canopy pilots to reduce friction on steering lines and allow the tail to spread a bit wider. Spreading the tail improves stability and slightly flattens the glide.
Triple risers were originally developed by accuracy competitors back when parachutes were square.
Now they are being revived by top blade running competitors for the same reasons.
Since triple risers require an extra minute to pack, you should only spend the extra money after you have tried all the other tricks: pulling the slider down to your shoulders, loosening your chest strap and spending a few hundred jumps learning all the corners of your canopy's performance envelope.

Oddly, I am in the minority of Pro swoop competitors that actually use trips. I like them for all of the reasons listed so far in this post: lower toggle pressure, increased "feel", flatter tail, etc. None of the members of The Extreme Team (team Icarus) use trips and all four of them out-swoop me right now. It is all a matter of personal preference, but I simply prefer them as I am now very used to jumping them.
Chuck
Team Atair