btvr

Reflex

Maybe someone else can confirm the details, but my understanding is that Fliteline systems is now out of business, and another company is supplying spares. I don't think you can buy a new Reflex any more.
They seemed pretty good containers though, and lots of people seem to like them.
Geoff

I have put about 400 jumps on my reflex (it has 600 on it total). It holds a PD 176R and has held a Tri 175, Stilleto 170, Space 150 and Vengeance 135, comfortably and asthetically pleasing.
I freefly and my main flap will not come open unless I am pulling, the riser covers look sort of flimsy, but I have only one video of one being open in freefall, and it is apparently open in the plane right before exit. The bridle protection is superior, not is exposed and the BOC pouch is made of cordura and makes a "hard pull" really difficult to make. Pop top containers get the reserve pilot chute into the air really quickly, as the theory goes, because the pilot chute does not have to clear reserve container flaps.
Reserve pin is totally protected on the inside back, however, from time to time the pop top (reserve pilot chute) needs to be tightened after a repack. It should be tightened by a rigger, prefereably one that repacks your reserve.
There is some bad press...Some people, including some riggers (opinions are like assholes, remember) say that the reserve closing loop can be tightened to the point where you can not pull your reserve handle. The truth of the matter is, your pin would probably be severly bent (I mean like crimped, a cypres will still save you, but that is no substitute for safety procedures and a properly packed reserve) before that would happen. And of course we are all taught as students to check our reserve pins. I have tightened mine very much, attached a scale to the reserve cable and got the pin to move with 18 pounds of force. A rigger would have to not know how to tighten the pin or not be familiar with a reflex to screw this up. Most riggers should contact the manufacturer or another more experienced rigger if they get unfamiliar gear or have a question about some gear.
More bad press, (this is not limited to reflex, but they did have a fatality). Check your grommets in your main container, have a little piece of cypres closing loop, see if you can snag it on any of the grommets (or anything in the main container area, if you can get a rigger to re-set the grommets and or repair anything that looks like a snag.
I love my reflex, and when I buy a new container I will keep it has a backup or pond swoop rig. I think they were probably one of the best of the second tier containers (first tier being, Javelin, Mirage, Vector everyone else second).
bloo skies
ramon

Ramon, I did not get the idea about "first tier" and "second tier". Why didn't you include such excellent containers as Infinity, Wings, Voodoo, Talon to the first one ? What are they lacking in order to be as good as Javelin ???

I sent better reply and it got zapped so I this is a retry.
Opinions are like a**holes.
I first heard a gear salesman use the 1st tier 2nd tier thing, but then it was repeated by a few riggers.
It's probably just name recognition and reputation (mercedes vs toyota, both are good, but one has real wood, ha ha they both get you where your going).
Most riggers have their favorites and I have heard more than once gear snobs say only the 3 are the best (vec,jav, mir). Personally I have seen quality problems with brand new Javelins (my friend Eric had a dive loop break during a swoop on a velocity and my friend Katrina has incorrectly sewn leg straps). Most of the new gear made today is 'pretty good' compared to what was jumped 15 years ago, but fro example Mirage G3 comes with extra strong reserve riser material on front and back risers but a new Javelin does not (only front). Does this matter, probably not.
Personally I like Vector Micron the best, but I have seen very nice Wings containers.
Voodoo is simply a remade Talon, my ex- has a nice little Talon II that has never given her problems, but most of the Voodoos I have seen were junk, made wrong, looked like crap. I have seen one that looked like it had the worng size canopies in it but it had the exact sizes in it that they were supposed to have.I jump my buddies Voodoo II all the time and the left riser cover comes open if you are standing in the hanger. I think they have quality problems, because I have seen some that looked smooth. And by quality I mean quality control, are they making each rig up to their standards if they have precise standards to begin with.
I think any manufacturer can make some mistakes and have some rigs that do not meet up to their reputation or claims, but, you know people buy what is popular.
Since I freefly I want a rig that will stay shut, even though Javelin is considered a top rig, I have seen them open all the time and people complain that the new Odysseys riser covers pop off...well new hard cutaway cable housings put into the risers make the risers stiffer and want to pop out...who knew? ha ha
For Freeflying I'd buy a Mirage or Vector because of the security, Javelin...I like them and if I got a deep discount, ok, but for my money Vector micron.
Dat be my opinion, and I like my reflex.
ramon

I agree with Ramon for the most part, I really like my Reflex, I don't have any issue's other then the reserve (pop top) pilot chute does get loose once in awhile. Its comfortable and seems to keep everything in place. I'm not a freeflyer so I can't really say, but I have not seen any problems with the folks that do ff with them. I have heard a lot of rumors about the resale going down after fliteline went under, however I went looking for another Reflex (because they were going to be cheap) well I have found that they haven't lost any value, they cost just as much as the other used containers. So go figure. Anyway I do like mine. Good luck in your quest.
Bleau skies

Part if their bad press came from Reflex not seating the grommits properly on the closing flaps. Leaving a gap big enough to snag a line, which has caused a Mal that couldn't be cut away, with obvious sad, documented results.
Make sure you check that out, or better, have a rigger go through it. One that is familiar with their shortcomings. Other than that, they seem decent and tight enough.

There are a lot of Reflexes around my home DZ, my own included. I talked to a bunch of people before I bought mine used. They seem to be sound rigs from everything I've heard. As mentioned by other folks, get your gear checked out thoroughly by a good rigger and make sure all documented safety issues (grommets, etc.) have been properly addressed.
Beyond that, get up in the air and enjoy yourself.
Justin
Founder, Whuffo Conversion Team

Don't buy a Reflex if the Service Bulletin relating to the top main closing flap has not been complied with on that particular rig. I had all the grommets replaced (and countersunk) on mine after the fatality. Not a bad idea to check all the grommets on any used rig - the closing loop tab on at least one Javelin has also caught lines and caused obvious, sad results... The grommet issue was not a Reflex specific problem.
I really liked my Reflex; super comfortable, never had a problem with flaps, bombproof bridle coverage, easy to pack the main into. Only reason I sold it was that I'm upsizing.
pull and flare,
lisa
----
I am a nobody.
Nobody's perfect.
Therefore, I am perfect!

Both Karen and I have one (each.. hahaha)
Realy like them, confy, got a great price new in 1999 (their millenium sale), I've yet to have either riser covers or main flap come loose in Freefall. My wife's -S (shorty) does have the main flap come open from time to time ( the shark tooth maybe a bit too short on hers). But not in the last year that I can remember (maybe it needed to grow older to fit well)
We had all the grommets checked and re-seated, but none shown any problems. As some have said, it is a pity that they got a bad rep from that as other containers had the same problem at the same time and they came out of it with no dark clouds over them (not whishing any ill will to any other company).
Bottom line: really like it.
Remi

Remi & Karen are correct,
Lots of other containers had loose grommets, but only one brand got a bad reputation.
Before this whole "grommet mania 2000" began I reset loose grommets on a regular basis. Since the Reflex Service Bulletin was issued I have reset loose grommets on almost every type of container.
The thing that I don't understand is riggers who will do the service bulletin on the Reflex top flap but leave other grommets loose. Will someone please explain this to me?