TomAiello

Sub Discipline Jump Numbers

I've entered my jump numbers in the "mini-profile" data as Skydives and BASE jumps.

I've noticed the jump number field is now setup to disallow this sort of entry, I was wondering if it's possible to put in multiple "jump number" fields, with secondary indicators for "type of jump".

This would allow some indication of areas of specialty. This would help us identify experts in particular areas (Freefly, CRW, BASE, etc) that might not translate well to (or from) other disciplines. While I think this is particularly important for BASE, I think there would be value in other areas as well.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I think this is a great idea.

I've always posted my jump numbers as:

XXXX Sky XXX BASE

I think this is useful because it can allow other readers to see what experience level you have, which could possibly lead to added credibility to your posts. (it's certainly not an ego thing)

Just a thought...

Bryan

If it would be in a way that you were only allowed numbers in the number fields, i second that (don't have any BASE, though). The "never enough", ">1" and "less than i want" are pretty useless...
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

the trouble is with this as I see it - experience in BASE I would say is not alone jump numbers - if someone may have 1000 jumps from the legal span or you may have someone with 200 jumps from 50+ various objects - if I was taking advice from someone I would prefer to take it from the 200 jump number guy! I know generally this is an extreme example - but surely if you want seperate jump numbers for BASE then also you would also require Object numbers to see someones true experience??? - I dont always take peoples BASE jump numbers as a guage of experience..... I prefer to know what type of jumping they have done............

but I guess that someone with xxx number of jumps generally has many objects - but this certainly is not the rule........

just my thought...........

I agree that it would be even more accurate to see number of objects--and even more accurate than that to see type of objects--and even more accurate than that to see an on-line reproduction of the poster's log book. However, it seems like that might entail a whole lot of extra work for a limited (in terms of number of DZ.com users) return.

Simply having jumps per discipline would be a step in the right direction, and would also benefit folks outside of the BASE forum.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hi 813 --

I totally agree with you; jump numbers alone don't fully indicate one's true experience level. But as Tom has mentioned, it's a good step in the right direction and covers 99% of what we're looking for.

Cheers,

Bryan

yeah man as I mentioned it probably does cover everything - but with a dual skydiving and BASE site I think the numbers mean less than the skydiving numbers thats all.

Also with the multi national community then in the states I think with the use of the legal span to pad out jump numbers Im not sure if the use of BASE jump numbers is of that much use....................

just throwing some other thought into it........... mainly coz im bored shitless hey!!! ;)

then perhaps have a seperate area for number of years in BASE? as someone else said there are people with perhaps a deemed low number of BASE jumps but many years in it and this reflects in their knowledge................

again just me thowing up ideas...........

If you're doing discipline numbers, wanna add instruction stuff to the dropdown menus and maybe a third discipline?

Then you could have someone like Hooknswoop have
Swooping: 1,000,000
Tandem: 1,000,000
AFF: 1,000,000.
:P

Well, that's obviously a joke, but you know what I mean.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

my sense of humor's fine.

your comment just wasn't funny.

yes it was funny!!!! he cant do everything!!!

i want more info - but it wont happen due to time and effort............ but i also appreciate the humour in telling me NO!!

my sense of humor's fine.

your comment just wasn't funny.

Opinions vary...

Seeing as you have absolutely no idea what my intention was with that post and are guessing at best, let me clear it up for you. It was a joke. Relax. Nobody is fighting with you. In assuming that, you are not only just plain wrong, you are also doing a disservice to yourself and me.

Play on! :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

>You can now enter sub-discipline jump numbers in the profile..

This seems like generally a good idea.

How about a category called

"Uncategorizable, undefinable, non measurable
and otherwise none of the above"

or maybe just "Artist" or "Innovator" for people
who don't do these rigid disciplines.

Who let all this discipline stuff into skydiving
anyway? :-) :-)

Skr

> Perhaps the ability to enter your own sub-discipline
> as a text field? I wonder how long it would take for
> that to get abused, though.

Oh, maybe 5 or 6 seconds .. 10 at the outside.

I'm already getting some ideas :-) :-)

Skr