bvsdjumper

Suggestion for Incidents forum

There seem to be some unwritten rules for the Incidents forum. Two of them are 1) no condolences and 2) no speculation. I agree that they are good rules, but unfortunately, the forum is setup like all the others which allows anybody to post anything and then the moderators have to step in when things get out of hand.

This doesn't seem to work out well for some incidents. People read an incident and have a natural desire to post condolences or what-if scenarios. I don't think that's a bad thing and do think those posts should be made, but it's not compatible with the unwritten rule of keeping the forum purely factual.

To cope with this, I'd like to suggest the following:

TO POST A NEW INCIDENT:

1) Go to the incidents forum and select Post New
2) select one of
......a) I HAVE FACTS
......b) inquiry / other (selected by default)
3) enter text
4) if "I HAVE FACTS" is selected, post to forum
5) otherwise post to Gen Disc. and/or Talkback

TO POST A REPLY TO AN INCIDENT:

1) Go to the incident post and select Replay
2) select one of:
......a) I HAVE FACTS
......b) condolence / what-if / other (selected by default)
3) enter text
4) if "I HAVE FACTS" is selected, post to forum
5) otherwise post as reply to thread in Gen Disc. and/or Talkback

Also, if the post got dumped to Gen Disc. and/or Talkback, perhaps a message stating this would be in order on the next screen.

The selections for having facts or other would be radio buttons on the same page as entering text. Since the poster would have to consciously change to "I HAVE FACTS" to get the post into the Incidents forum, they are more on the hook for posting appropriately. If an inappropriate post is made, the poster should be dealt with tactfully but more firmly.

This might help get it through people's heads that the forum is for facts only but condolences and thoughts on what might have happened are appreciated and allowed. It also might help to distinguish between facts and speculation.

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

Actually, there are some written rules for the Incidents forum however people choose to ignore them.

Incidents Forum Posting Guidelines:
Before you start a thread in the Incidents Forum or reply to post please consider the guidelines below:

• The purpose of this forum is to report, discuss and learn from fatal and serious non-fatal incidents.

• Most, if not all, new threads here should start with the report of an actual incident. General safety issues or small and potential incidents should be posted to the Safety and Training forum.

• Incidents include: malfunctions, cutaways, wraps, collisions, crash landings etc. I trust everyone will use their good judgment before starting a thread or disposing of advice.

• In case of a fatality please post your condolences to the Talkback forum and keep this forum for discussion.

• BillVon recently posted this, a good list of what should and shouldn't be posted in the Incidents forum.

-
    Jim
    "Like" - The modern day comma
    Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Actually, there are some written rules for the Incidents forum however people choose to ignore them.

Bump.

Can I vent here? If it's not condolences, it's congratulations. I don't learn much from one-liners like "Sweet job, man!" or the longer versions, and I find I am less likely to check for good information if I have to wade through blurts to get there.

I feel better already.

Mark

That's exactly why had two threads (one in incidents and one in Talk Back) about the 182 crash, so we could have real info in one and the one liners and such in the other, but people didn't really pay attention to that. *shrug* I do appreciate their posts, though.
    --"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

To the moderators: why don't the moderators delete or move condolence and BS threads and then ask that individual to repost in the appropriate forum. The problem seems to be that anytime someone sticks a condolence in incidents forum someone other than a moderator comes in and tells them to take it to talkback. This should really just be a PM. It comes off as very rude and the incident thread dissolves and everyone looks like a jerk, while in the meantime, the memory of the person is tarnished by some stupid internet squabble.

I think the moderators need to take more responsibility in this.
    "I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I was just thinking about this too... Hey Sangiro, the idea of putting the "Before You Post" section in the BASE Zone was a great idea and seems to be working pretty well - what about doing the same thing with the Incidents forum? That might cut down on a lot of the unnecessary posts that end up there.

There IS a "Before You Post" on the Incidents Forum. The problem is that some people seem to be ignoring it.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

There IS a "Before You Post" on the Incidents Forum. The problem is that some people seem to be ignoring it.

Yeah, but it's not done the same way as in the BASE Zone - that one seems to be a little more noticeable, maybe because it is titled "Before You Post!" instead of "Incident Forum Guidelines" (which sounds like something most people would ignore ;) - maybe "Before You Post" just grabs the attention a bit more? (and there's also a link called "Before you post" on the main BASE forum page instead of only when you go to post)

Ok, just for the record I am a complete moron... I just posted in the BASE Zone again and it is pretty much just like the Incidents Forum except for the "Before You Post" link at the top - but that is not the title of the "Guidelines". Ok, I'll put the crack pipe down now and shut up for a while... :S