skydived19006

Hand Cam Techniques

And yet in another thread you are seeking info about downsizing to a 300 sq/ft canopy for better swooping on landing. If your profile details are correct you are either a troll or your ego is running way to far ahead of your abilities. Assuming the latter I think you should either pull your head in and go back to basics or alternatively get out of tandems before your ego drives you some unsuspecting punter into the ground.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

i see other guys get good landings with their tandems by hookin it, i was just tryin to get some advice, pull my head in?! nice attitude! i thought this forum was for learning....you sound like the people at the dz that got mad when i started jumpin my cross brace, they said i wasn't ready but i havent had any accidents except for a few minor wipe outs (no hospital) i just thought a smaller tandem canopy would improve my wing loading....

...you sound like the people at the dz that got mad when i started jumpin my cross brace, they said i wasn't ready but i havent had any accidents except for a few minor wipe outs (no hospital) i just thought a smaller tandem canopy would improve my wing loading....

So now you are ready to include an innocent student in your learning curve with the hopes you (and they) survive with only "minor" wipe-outs that hopefully don't include hospitals????

Why am I feeding this troll?

steveOrino

Start here:

From PIA 2011 in Reno, February 15
presenters: Mark Procos UPT, Bill Morrisey of Strong Enterprises, Tom Noonan PD, Nancy LaRiviere Jumpshack, Frank Carreras German TIE
Present in attendance of approximately 150 people including: Bill Booth UPT, Ted Strong, Jay Stokes USPA President, Jim Crouch USPA Director of S&T, Ed Scott USPA Ex Director, almost everyone a TI, 20 or so T I/E’s, represented from the U.S. and all continents internationally as well.

19 commandments of Tandem Parachute Operations
1. No jumpers under the age of legal majority
2. Waivers – A Must
3. Tandem Student harness should be in jumpable configuration before boarding a/c
4. Minimum Exit Altitude 7,500’ (normal tandem operation)
5. Drogue must be deployed within 3 to 5 seconds.
6. Handle Checks in the order you would use them. (before board, in a/c, before exit, after tossing drogue)
7. RW must cease by 6,500’. There will be a briefing, which includes the student.
8. Pull Drogue Release by 5,500’.
9. Under Canopy by 4,000’.
10. Maintain adequate [100’] separation under canopy.
11. No Hook Turns. (No turns over 90 degrees under 500’ AGL)
12. Stabilized on final by 100’ AGL.
13. Report any cutaway … or equipment failure that may or may not have resulted in a cutaway, whether or not there is an injury. Report any injury.
14. Videographer (outside) Minimum experience: a) 500 RW jumps with 100 camera jumps, a currency requirement of 100 jumps in the previous year, or b) 300 jumps, and has passed air skills of a USPA Coach Course.
15. 100 tandem jumps before using a Handcam.
16. Currency requirements - 3 tandems over the last 90 days
17. Adhere to Manufacturer’s maintenance and packing instructions
18. There must be a minimum passenger briefing (before boarding a/c) according to FAR 105.45
19. All TI’s will be required to participate in the Continuing Education Module. The test will be available online. The format will be 3-question multiple choice.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Here's my solution.

Gives GoPro stills in portrait mode - with spectacular results in my totally-biased opinion. GoPro is set in every 2 second mode and goes on and off same time as CX100.

Customer ends up with 175 or so still shots. Plus the drag and drop of pics to the CD or DVD is literally a 8 to 10 second job.

CX100 makes the great vids as usual.

Could be argued to pose an additional snag hazard, so care to be taken, as with any skydive.

fergs

Chris Warnock/Parachutist makes them, ChutingStar sells them, his are very nicely done.

Thanks, Spot. Does he just make the double GoPro or does he make others for the CX110?

I make them for double GoPro only. I had a cx100 and compared the hc vids to GoPro vids... GoPro came out much clearer across the entire screen. Cx100s are limited by the coke bottle lenses, cx100s are bigger, more expensive, and heavier. I couldn't find good reason to use a cx100 instead of GoPro for handcam, so I decided not to make gloves for 'em.

More info about my single & dual gloves are available at
http://www.funjump.com

Chris

When you say your go pro goes on / off the same time as the cx100, how do you do that? I don't have a go pro but am considering setting it up like you have. Are you manually turning it on and off or do you have it connected with a switch?

Thanks - Aimee

There is no external switch available for the gopro. I do the same thing, and manually pause pictures on my gopro when I pause my video camera. You can leave the gopro running the whole canopy ride if you want. Drawback is that you have over 200 pictures and 150 of them look essentially the same. it would be time consuming to pick out a bunch of pictures, so just dump them all to a CD and explain or not to your customer that they have 250 pictures of which a bunch look the same, but a bunch of really cool shots regardless.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Any Hand Cam T-I's ever get that hand snagged by a Student?

Is it no more of a concern than normal?

Matt

Average of about one out of 40 will reach for me during opening, and its pretty consistent: they most always reach up around my elbows and hook their arms over mine. All I do is move my arms down and away from their grip, and keep my arms up, out of reach for the rest of the deployment. Occasionally someone will do more than hook my arms... they will have a tight grip. I'll say loudly in their ear "Let go of my arm, please". Usually by the second repeat they respond.