skydived19006

Hand Cam Techniques

Not in freefall?

Matt

I don't have an exact count but would guess that I have around 500 hand cam tandem jumps. I've never had anyone grab my arm in free fall. I do remember someone hooking their arm over mine, I simply moved my arm out around theirs.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Just curious how close the left hand is to the "danger zone" and if the Hand Cam T-I's have seen an increase in hand grabs.

If it is a minimal increase and some thing the experienced T-I can keep an eye on, I think Hand Cam has no to little added risks. Do a handle check after drogue set and use the left hand if executing EP's.

(not directed at you Martin)

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Any Hand Cam T-I's ever get that hand snagged by a Student?

Not yet, but it could happen. I also feel I can draw it back or move it before they can grab it. Plus, I always make sure that one hand is always away from them. Before I was back on the SIGMA, I always kept my right hand "hidden" from the student anyway.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If a student grabs your "camera hand," simply cover their eyes with your other hand.
They will usually be so busy clawing your right hand off their eyes, that you can get your left hand free.

If that fails, then start chewing through their spinal cord!

Thanks, Chris! I got my glove today and made a couple fun jumps with it. The first one was a little shaky but the second jump was a lot better. What setting do you put your camera on? The GoPro is a brand new toy for me :)

Keep playing with it and you'll notice it getting even smoother. I use R3 video mode for GoPro HD. That makes it 720P @ 60fps, allowing for some nice slow-mo edits.

How did the pics turn out?

Chris