TALONSKY

How tight do tandem instructor's harness their student?

Hell tall slender women when sitting I can and will sometimes slide them off thier shoulders and say {Damn I got the wrong harness Again Honey you better hold on tight when I wave in your face}.

Why would you want to add to their apprehension? It is of my opinion that a relaxed student flies better. But what do I know? -- I only have about 600 tandems out of a Cessna. :S

steveOrino

...but then I started to notice the other TM's had their harness's adjusted fairly loose.

My guess is that those instructors have become complacent. Or, that one of the instructors has become complacent or doesn't care, and other instructors are copying him/her. Happens all the time.

I actually ran across that situation the other weekend. In my mind what I wanted to say was spread your leg but I knew that was not the best way to convey the message. In that instance she saw my wedding ring(yes I wear it skydiving but I always wear gloves so I do not see a high probablity of having any issues with the ring) as I was making my other adjustments and started asking questions about my wife at which point she relax her stance and I was able to make the adjustment. Later that day I asked the S & TA what would be the politically correct way to get their leg apart. He told me to state, “ I need to adjust the leg straps now could you please part your legs a bit”. So far to me that would imply the least sexual connotation so I am going with that. Any of these kind of things can help ease the situation if the female student is uncomfortable with the places we need to be to make the harness fit right.
Thanks
Kirk

I usually work on good humor as well, it helps a lot. Keep it professional and show complete respect. I usually mention some version of that I am straight (for male passengers) and happily married and that my wife often drops by unannounced, so they have nothing to worry about. Emphasis on everything is for their safety and explain what/why you are doing things.

As to your ring... I used to wear mine too, until a close friend of mind related that he saw a jumper get his ripped off (glove, ring and finger) as he exited a Cessna. After that, even my wife insists that I take it off to jump. Might want to re-think this one.

As to the harness, like many here, I want them ready to hook and leave before we get to the plane. Adjust in a slight squat (helps with the "open you legs") and explain that it should be a bit snug when standing upright. Don't want to cut off the circulation, but it needs to hold them snuggly.

My opinion: DO NOT flirt and/or join in sex jokes during this... Remember that even if you are already sleeping with this student, the prospective/other tandem students on the DZ don't know that. Be professional when you are the TI.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I usually mention some version of that I am straight (for male passengers)

Why would you even want to mention that? I'd think if you DIDN'T, they wouldn't even THINK about gay men, you just put ideas in their heads. Might be a cultural/personal thing though.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I usually mention some version of that I am straight (for male passengers)

Why would you even want to mention that? I'd think if you DIDN'T, they wouldn't even THINK about gay men, you just put ideas in their heads. Might be a cultural/personal thing though.

All in the delivery...
I find that there can be the same issue with helping a guy with their leg straps as with women. Lighthearted discussion, similar to telling the women I'm married, can relax them...
What's more fun is trying to put a PEP (pilot emergency parachute) on some young thing that insisted on wearing a short (or long) skirt on the day she wanted an aerobatic ride (not at the DZ). The crew gets me to do the honors as I can usually do so with the woman in good humor and without causing either embarrassment nor concern by their male companion. All the while keeping it safe. Like I said, its all in the rapport and delivery...B|

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

remember: most of the forums inhabitants are u.s.-citizens. unlike us europeans they always seem a little embarrassed when it comes to touching somebody :P

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I adjust the harness exactly the same way for both men and women so if the boyfriend is watching he can see that there has been no change in the process between me and her. Same goes for when the girlfriend is watching. Sometimes I will bring up my girlfriend and the fact that she hasn't jumped. Just making conversation seems to make the process go more smoothly. Oh and I only touch harness during the adjustment process.
Sky Canyon Wingsuiters