Michele

landing on my feet instead of my....

anything else.
I am jumping student stuff (big, slow -which is fine for me right now), and I did stand it up once, so I kow that I can do this. Beside the rest of the landing (flare, timing, wind direction, etc) which all needs work, where do I put my feet, how do I hold my legs, where is my upper body in comparison to the legs and feet, etc., and when do I get into this body position? There was some discussion on how to slide it in on a different thread; but that was for advanced people. Me, I'm not advanced (6th jump this Sunday). I would just like to not sit 4 out of 5 jumps.
Thanks in advance -
ciel bleu -
Michele

I would think the safest thing at our level is to prepare to PLF and if you touch down soft, great, stand it up. Personally, I'm not going to try running them out until I can do that consistently. If I can touch down soft and just lose my balance and PLF, I'll consider that a success. But considering half the time I'm dropping several feet for whatever reason, I'm keeping my feet together, knees bent, and rolling to the side.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin

Michelle
Watch a ton of students land and people who re jumping big canopies. Watch when they flare and how fast they stop. I found that feet just in front of me and "athletic" stance was the best that way I could take a few fast steps if I needed it. My feeling is that under a student canopy you will not stop but rather slow down and ease into the ground using a two stage flare. Down to quarter breaks to slow the approach and give more room for error then all the way for the flare. We can chat Sunday.
Ready, Set, GOOOOOOO
Albatross

I was taught and I always taught feet and knees together, knees slightly bent. You're ready for a PLF but it's easy to land on your feet or take a few steps if you need to.
pull and flare,
lisa
----
I don't think much, therefore I might not be

I personaly like my "ninja" stance. One foot in front of the other usualy for me left in front, right to the rear. kinda like a martial arts stance. with my legs some what brought up to give me some spring. I found early on my legs ,even though right together, they tended to be locked at the knee. that is bad. also helps me to get ready to run it out and if I see I have to PLF I just quickly bring my other leg up to my left and PLF to the left.
Marc

I also keep one foot out in front and prepare myself to hit the ground running. I have found that even on student gear you'll have to be prepared to run it out on a light/no wind day. If that's not the case, you may be underloading your canopy and may think about downsizing. There is such a thing as jumping a canopy that's too big and downsizing may actually improve your landings!
Blue Skies and Safe Landings,
Hackey

Someday, I will be able to flare properly so as to land on my feet. And thanks to you all, I will know how to when that happens. However, yesterday, I landed on the exact opposite - my shoulder and head (my right foot hit first, but I was going sideways, so the very next thing was my shoulder, and then my head - I had a horrible headache! Vid's quite funny, though). Ed says that I have the best PLF he has seen - but I really don't want to keep practicing it.
I am in gigantic gear (I think it's 280, but I am not sure...), but then again, I am not a small person (but that is changing), and I still am on student status; I did land it up once, but there was no wind. So I will keep at it until I can teach my body the feel of the right position for me.....and until then, I will just keep the Aleve in my purse.
Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.
Ciel bleu-
Michele

I tell my students to lean a bit forward in the harness. I also tell them to keep one foot slightly in front of the other on landing, making sure to keep the knees bent. One thing you might want to do is practice jumping off the seat portion of a picnic table. That is about as hard as you should ever hit the ground if you flare at the correct altitude.
Chuck