MomDaBomb

Orlando tunnel and cold weather

If you have some warmwear wear it. There will be a wind chiill factor to the temp. but on the bright side the wind will be strong and fast!!! I love it when its cold.

-Bowen
Retired Tunnel Instructor, Sky/Tunnel Coach

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

I can't tell you about Orlando, but I have flown at Eloy . . . in January . . . while it was raining outside. It was NASTY cold. If Orlando is as cold as they're saying, I'd suggest layering with Under Armour. Be sure to wear gloves, too. I'm sure the Orlando veterans have some more specific ideas, but if it's like Eloy was, you can't do too much to stay warm. :)

TPM Sister #102

I was in there last night when the temperature was in the 40s and it was very cold, but not too bad and still extremely fun. I had under armor, a ZP suit, a neck warmer and gloves and was in the airflow for probably around an hour. Cold but not too bad.

I definitely recommend some kind of warm clothes under the suit, gloves and a neck warmer. Also be sure to stand under the heaters in between flight rotations.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Something that I found out last February when I flew in Orlando when it was *gasp* below freezing outside (it was colder in Orlando than in Virginia where I live) was that Thermacare heat wraps placed around your back, on your neck, etc can do wonders at also helping you keep warm. AND, there is a Walgreen's right across the street that carries said Thermacare Heat Wraps. I would have to say, Heat Wraps, my gloves, and my neck warmer were the ONLY reason that I was able to stand the cold and fly. I hope that helps.
jenn
Tunnel Junkie Since November 2005! ;o)~
TPM #46
Paraclete XP TPM Delegate

Just got back and you are right....I will never do it again. I've never been so cold in my life. Ever. I'm serious. It was so cold. My hands were so totally numb that someone had to take my helmet and suit off for me.

Meh, in Wisconsin we still skydive when the weather is 30s or less on the ground. It only gets colder as you climb to altitude! Now, I am not saying that *I* skydive a whole lot in the winter, but we do have plenty of people who do :):PB|

At least in the tunnel you can stand under the heat.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I've been in the Orlando tunnel in February and is was cold. My question is about Paraclete XP. I'll be in there this weekend and it is supposed to be cold outside. Does the recirculation keep the tunnel air warm or will I need to bundle up anyway?

- Dan G

The recirculation of XP keeps the tunnel warm. There will be no need at all to bundle up. When I was there last month, I was actually a little too warm during one of my flights and all I had on under my suit was shorts and a T-shirt. Have a great time!!!
jenn
Tunnel Junkie Since November 2005! ;o)~
TPM #46
Paraclete XP TPM Delegate

i went to SVCO this December!!!! Made the right choice from Houston. Orlando can be so nice outside in DEC ...same with Eloy. I didn't want to risk the un-comforts of a cold front, so i went to SVCO.... was toasty warm with the recirc air. I prefer the warmth over the dense cool air!

Bowan, I remember my first cold sub 40s jump and the dense air... more so than the cold!

After your first minute of flying in there, you would wished you had a canopy ride, pack job, then a plane ride back up. It is seriously cold(but that is coming from a florida boy:S)

You're making me remember my training.

You remember what you had Brad do when he was late? >:(
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I was at SVOrlando from 31 Dec To 4 Jan and flew through the cold too. Maybe It's from jumping in NE Ohio in the winter (when I was a LOT younger), but all I needed was gloves, a fleece with a turtleneck, and a zero-P jumpsuit. the "thick" air made flying a lot easier.

Then again, it just might be that anytime I can fly, is better than anytime I can't!;)