jellob

tunnel locations?

Several threads in the various Forums here have discussed the utility of tunnel time for leg awareness and overall freefall comfort. I am only one jump into my AFF and am increasingly becoming nervous about my impending jumps. To this end, I am curious if anyone knows where the closest tunnel is to northern New Jersey. Any other tunnel info would be much appreciated.

Why do so many people suggest tunnel time if the actual time in the tunnel is so limited? I mean, I understand that freefall time is pretty brief as well, but if I want / need the practice, why do the time slots come in minute or two increments? What is the physical toll? Similar to or worse than freefall?

I see that there are actually three in the works (Philly, Manhattan, and Xanadu in NJ) in my area, but that New Hampshire is the closest (thanks, Howard). If I were to make the drive, what should I hope to accomplish? I want to know as much as possible before committing myself to the drive!

AFF 2 and 3 are tomorrow so I clearly will not be able to make use of the tunnel before then, but for future reference or for winter use, any advice on tunnel time would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can buy it in blocks as large as 1 hour. They normally have you rotate in 1-2 minute increments with other jumpers during a block of time. Lets you have a rest when the other folks are in the tunnel. If you get a coach(highly suggested), your coach will discuss how to make improvements between each rotation. One 5 minute block (equal to 5 skydives) with coaching is ~about~ the same $ as 1 AFF jump. I was having issues around level 4 with uncontrolled turns. Got some time in the tunnel and the coach saw the problem and I had it fixed by my second rotation through. They can stand right in front of you and give signals on what to correct. Since the tunnel is a confined space with walls and the net as a reference, you will know immediately if you are backsliding, drifting, sinking or popping. They shot video that you debrief with and you can buy a copy to study at home. Well worth the $.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I did 20 minutes in the tunnel (2 minutes on 4 off) before my first AFF jump, it helped TREMENDOUSLY not only with body position but with confidence as well. Be prepared, I couldn't move for days after. It's a beating on your body if your not used to it.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

there are actually three in the works (Philly, Manhattan, and Xanadu in NJ) in my area

Don't count on it - "coming soon" wind tunnel press releases are often all bluster by existing investors to recruit other investors. I'm not aware of any of those 3 actually under construction.
I stand open to being corrected.

Why do so many people suggest tunnel time if the actual time in the tunnel is so limited? I mean, I understand that freefall time is pretty brief as well, but if I want / need the practice, why do the time slots come in minute or two increments? What is the physical toll? Similar to or worse than freefall?

I buy 15 min coached blocks. The total bock you buy is the "slot" but the tunnel staff puts other flyers in with me (either tunnel rats or others like myself) and we rotate with a few minutes of break in between for rest, reflection, etc. So my 15 minutes may take 30-45 minutes to burn using 2 1/2 minute increments as is typical for me. During these mini breaks my coach tells me how I did and what I need to do going forward in the same session. All of this is caught on video and I take the video home with me and review. Where I live (high altitude) my freefly skydiving time is about 45 seconds plus/minus. That means the tunnel session is like 20 skydives (the freefly portion of the dive) here or even less if you discount getting stable, waving off, etc. How much time would/does it take you to do 20 skydives and how much would it cost you to do it fully coached and shot on video (coaches fee 20 to 40 bux, slot 20 to 23, packing 5-6, plus your own fees)? I pay under 200 bux for this but it would cost me WELL over 1000 to equal it in the sky and I use the term "equal" loosely due to fatigue and muscle memory issues involved in the time involved to get it done in the sky. That said, I skydive every weekend and that is the reason I do the tunnel and not vice versa. They go together perfectly but the real concentrated learning happens in the tunnel and for much less money. Just my 2 cents but it makes sense for me.
Motion = Emotion

What is the physical toll? Similar to or worse than freefall?

MUCH worse.. because your time 'under stress' is doubled even in a 2 min rotation..

I know several very fit people who were completely smoked after a three 2min rotations (not having ever skydived before they were using muscles in ways they never had before.)

the most ive done was 30m broken up into 2 min rotations.. I was alternating between belly, back and sit for each rotation (with rest between as other the others rotated through) and i was still completely beat the next day...

adrenalin and the short exposure time in a single skydive make people underestimate the physical effort involved

My last tunnel trip I really learned how many muscles are used and abused in the tunnel. There were 2 of us and we started with a 30 minute block split between us then hopped out for about an hour and a half. Then we split an hour. Later the same day we went back in and split 30 minutes with 5 people. In the matter of an afternoon we spent 50-60 minutes each in the airstream. That night I could barely lift my arms, the next day was even worse.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yep, and its probally helped lead to my current shoulder issues :P Holding a sit for that long just abuses your body in ways I never knew it could. If you are in good physical shape before heading into the tunnel it will help a lot. Hitting the gym will go a long ways to allowing you to fly for an hour or more stright with out being sore.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Holding a sit for that long just abuses your body in ways I never knew it could.

So true for me as well. When I sleep, it feels like someone is trying to pull my arm out of its socket. My head down progression is much easier on the arms and sleep is getting better again.
Motion = Emotion