freeflydrew

Would you travel (drive or fly) longer to fly in a 14ft tunnel vs 12ft?

FWIW, AFAIK Perris and Orlando are measured just short of 12 ft corner to corner and are 10 sided.

Airkix, NH and CO are 12 ft flat to flat and are 8 sided.

Thanks for the info - I was relaying what a tunnel rat had mentioned in these forums.

{{I could have sworn the Orlando tunnel was 12 sided.... But, my memory goes as I get older. You sound like you know the details}}

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

FWIW, AFAIK Perris and Orlando are measured just short of 12 ft corner to corner and are 10 sided.

Airkix, NH and CO are 12 ft flat to flat and are 8 sided.

I dont think they can be measured flat-to-flat based on what I have seen in the past. Not wanting to start a shitstorm here so lay off me folks! :D

To show why I think this see the attached photo - which unless these people are 7ft tall gives a good perspective. This photo is from SVNH which I would guess is 12ft corner to corner (as CO and Airkix)

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

;) SVCO has some great employees and the recirculating air is warm and smooth. Does size matter? Not if you know how to fly in place and stay in the wind column. I've seen people with 500 jumps that are all over the place in the tunnel. Granted it's nowhere near Mile High DZ, but the people are great and so is the tunnel. ...but then again I'm only 2 jumps away from being a total whuffo...I'd imagine my opinion hardly counts!
There's three types of people in this world...those who can do math and those who can't!

I just ran upstairs and measured the (SVCO) tunnel. 11-ft, 5-inches from flat to flat and 12-feet, 5-inches corner to corner. We have 8 panels. Maybe the 12 feet is an average:P. I 'believe' it is 109 sq ft. That might be the best way to measure a tunnel, square footage.

Derek

Hey Derek,

Your way is a lot simpler and precise than mine! Thanks for taking the time to do that.

A further step to the idea of using area rather than diameter... is volume! For me this is ultimately the most important metric of any tunnel....

It is volume that dictates your power needs / how much space there is to fly... and how long it takes a fart to dissipate (all very important!) :D

But - a little of a digression on topic..... ErmM I would travel a little extra to use a 14ft tunnel over a 12ft one but would still probably use both in any event.

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

That might be the best way to measure a tunnel, square footage.

Fun with math! See the attached Excel spreadsheet (in zip file) or PDF file if you don't like Excel.

Yes, I know I have no life.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

[Depends how it's measured.

Something to consider is that since the area of a circle math formula is Pi R squared, the area of the 14 foot tunnel is substantially larger due to the radius "squaring". Therefore, a 12 ft. tunnel has 113. 09 sq. ft. of area, where the 14 ft. tunnel has an area of 153.93 sq. ft, no matter how it is measured.
I like the SVCO tunnel because it is close to my house (20 minutes) and it is recirculating, stable temperature in the tunnel, less power usage, etc. I really like Eloy simply because it IS and "feels" so much bigger inside whether flying solo or doing 4 way RW.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

[Depends how it's measured.

Something to consider is that since the area of a circle math formula is Pi R squared, the area of the 14 foot tunnel is substantially larger due to the radius "squaring". Therefore, a 12 ft. tunnel has 113. 09 sq. ft. of area, where the 14 ft. tunnel has an area of 153.93 sq. ft, no matter how it is measured.

wrong - on the "polygon" version of a tunnel, how are you defining the radius term of "Pi R squared" flat to flat or point to point. (You are obviously using the generalized assumption that it's point to point as used in all beginner calculus books - examples above show that's not necessarily true) Therefore, it DOES matter how it is measured.

Your numbers are wrong in the case of a polygon tunnel. That's the whole point.

All you did was say that a 14 foot tunnel is bigger than a 12 foot tunnel. I suspect nobody will dispute that at all.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

All you did was say that a 14 foot tunnel is bigger than a 12 foot tunnel. I suspect nobody will dispute that at all.

Obviously you've never seen how they do math in Canada:P

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2740796#2740796

Why do you ask? This thread has digressed to tunnel "area" for circular vs (various ways to measure) polygon tunnels (I thought the actual measurements from some of the owners and employees was very interesting).

I which case, maybe asking how much math I have trained in, or an IQ would be appropriate.

Didn't you know there was a direct correlation between tunnel time and maths ability? Rusty just solved fermats last....

"maths" - I find that funny. SC has a good point, the details don't matter when we are picking at differences of a couple feet across. (Though we use the 'corners' quite a bit, it seems).

Didn't you know there was a direct correlation between tunnel time and maths ability? Rusty just solved fermats last....

"maths" - I find that funny. SC has a good point, the details don't matter when we are picking at differences of a couple feet across. (Though we use the 'corners' quite a bit, it seems).

You might find it funny but we invented the language :P He he
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Hey Derek,

I just wanted to thank you for all the help you are giving me and my instructor (Brad Cole) in the tunnel over a SVCO. It is amazing now living in a city that has its own tunnel. By the way, Brad is out of town Sunday and YOU are my coach that night!!! This twice a week training is sucking the wind out of my account and blowing it into the tunnel!

Peace,
Oz

I just had some engineers do the numbers for the Colorado tunnel (based off your measurements) and your sq foot calc is pretty good. They came up with 108.0405 sq. feet ;)

Motion = Emotion