redwings

I can't decide which tunnel to go to

Out of sheer fluke, my work schedule in December is filled with four- and five-day weekends. A stroke of genius and I'm planning to head out to try the wind tunnels. Problem is, I can't decide.

I like what I've heard and seen about the one in Vegas, but is there one closer to Wisconsin?

Thanks for all your help in advance!
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

I don't know what you've heard about the one in Vegas... so maybe you've got some better gouge them me... but I've heard that the one in Vegas is more of a "ride", where as the ones at say Perris or Eloy are more about teaching skills useful to skydivers. However, having said that, there's certainly more different stuff to do in Vegas when not in the tunnel then say at Eloy or Perris. That could be a good thing... ;)... or a bad thing... :S... decissions decissions... good luck... have fun. :ph34r:

The Skyventure tunnels in Denver and New Hampshire would both be closer to you than Las Vegas. Even Orlando's closer.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Ooo you're right. I can do New Hampshire. The reason why I mentioned Vegas first was because I can do the tourist thing (again) after I'm done with the tunnel time.

Thanks! I shall look into the other places. Still no closer to deciding, though.
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

If youre going to come to vegas anyway at a later date, go to some Skyventures or L1's

than when you have the Vegas trip planned you can go to flyaway and appreciate the difference.

It's a little harder than Skyventures but damn, its definitely more fun once you understand how to fly in it.
My photos

My Videos

I like what I've heard and seen about the one in Vegas, but is there one closer to Wisconsin?

AUW to...

AVL 754 mi AAC/L1 and/or FA Pigeon Forge
DEN 844 mi SV Colorado
BOS 948 mi SV New Hampshire
MCO 1226 mi SV Orlando
E60 1442 mi SV Eloy
LAS 1468 mi FA Las Vegas
L65 1655 mi SV Perris
LHR 3882 mi SV United Kingdom and/or Bodyflight Bedford

So the answer seems to be North Carolina for L1 or Flyaway (which is actually just across the border in Tennessee), or Colorado for SkyVenture.

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I know, I'm biased . . . but I LOVE SVCO. If it's on your short list, I'd move it to the top. We have great instructors, not to mention the mountains. And, if you're a hockey fan (just guessing), we have the Avs--although I don't think we play the Dead Things in December.
TPM Sister #102

Elayne - Your profile says you jump at Chip. Note that skydivers from Baldwin are arranging 2 separate tunnel camps.

Maybe you could connect with one or the other. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you info for the organizers - If I still have it, if not, likely Miles could help hook you up with at least one organizer - he's on the disty list.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

No way am I going into enemy territory.:ph34r:

Does that answer your hockey fan question?

Yep--but I have to respect it! ;) No way could I go to Joe Louis Arena unless it was to watch the Avs beat the Red Wings, so I don't blame you. Fortunately, I think the SVCO instructors are fairly non-partisan when it comes to hockey teams, so you'd still be safe in our tunnel. I would even come and fraternize with you--which is saying something, given that you're a confessed Red Wings fan. Don't mind if I show up in disguise. . . . B|

Seriously--have fun on your tunnel trips! (And I really do hope you come out here.)
TPM Sister #102

I'll wear a Wings jersey so you can recognize me.:P

Still can't decide, though. New Hampshire looks good, and seems to be the cheapest of all. With buying gear and a planned vacation to visit the family, money will be an issue. Plus it has to be in December since I made my work schedule light.

Choices, choices.

I'll wear a Wings jersey so you can recognize me.:P

Still can't decide, though. New Hampshire looks good, and seems to be the cheapest of all. With buying gear and a planned vacation to visit the family, money will be an issue. Plus it has to be in December since I made my work schedule light.

Choices, choices.

Nice choices to have to make! I've heard good things about NH but I've never been there for first-hand experiences. I think you can't lose!
TPM Sister #102

Members of Mass Defiance, a nationally-competitive four-way team, are offering free coaching every Thursday from 7 p.m on at SVNH They've spread the word on local mailing lists and probably could accommodate a Redwings fan in Bruins territory.

HW

Wow. Free coaching, EVEN for Red Wing fans???! I'm very impressed, but we are getting close to the holidays and it's nice to see these acts of charitable kindness. ;)

Sweet deal! That probably just put the decision over the top. [:/]
TPM Sister #102

That's great! Except I was planning on going Monday to Wednesday. Right now, it's New Hampshire, Orlando or Colorado. Frankly, I'd rather go somewhere warm but it's not a deal breaker.

Hey, us Original Six fans should stick together.

Here's the full message from Ben Liston of Mass Defiance. Note his caution about booking in advance.
---
Until further, Mass Defiance will be offering free coaching on Thurs.
evenings from 7pm - 10pm at Skyventure NH. We can either help you
organize your tunnel time before you go in, sit in the chamber and
offer feedback between your flights, or actually get in air with to do
drills, 2-ways, 3-ways, or 4-ways.... Your choice! So if you want to
learn how to do knee turns, improve you fall rate adjustment, work on
side sliding, learn how to do burble hops, or anything else, come on
out!

All you need to do is book your time with the tunnel directly for
Thurs. evening and note with them that you'd like to have some free
coaching from Mass Defiance. Pls. note, reserving flight time in
advance is important, they seem to be running strait through the
evenings more and more, so call ahead!

See you in the tube,

-Mass Defiance

I think you said the magic word. although the fraternizing with the enemy part is eating away my conscience. LOL

BUUUUUT, I have decided to go with Orlando. Phew. That was an easy decision.

I think you said the magic word. although the fraternizing with the enemy part is eating away my conscience. LOL

BUUUUUT, I have decided to go with Orlando. Phew. That was an easy decision.

Rats. We usually have some nice weather in the winter, but it's definitely not Orlando! :( At least this way, your hockey integrity will remain intact. (I don't AGREE with your choice of team, mind you, but loyalty is important.)

You'll have to tell us how it goes!! B| (The sunglasses are because you picked Florida. Let's hope there's no rain!)
TPM Sister #102

I'm loyal. To the Wings, to the Wolverines, to the Grand Rapids Griffins. But not the Green Bay Packers.

And no jinxing the weather! :S

It's cold as...well it's cold in this neck of the woods. But, I have my tunnel time booked, so all I need is to reserve ticket and hotel. Easier said than done.

I feel your pain with the cold. We just have single-digit weather here, but it's up to a balmy 32 this afternoon.

Have a great time in Orlando and keep SVCO on your list the next time you get the urge to travel. They're good guys and would take care of you well here.

Good luck getting some deals on air and hotel! :)
TPM Sister #102

In response to ZigZag's remark about Flyaway Vegas being more of a "ride" and not teaching skills useful to skydiving. This statement could not be further from the truth. We often get this reputation because most of our customers are tourists looking for a one time thrill. Such is the nature of doing business in Las Vegas. This can also result from a flyer not communicating his or her goals to an instructor that is used to giving wuffos "rides". Just because we are flying a dinosaur here doesn't mean we can't help with free fall skills. The fact is if you can learn to fly our sometimes choppy 12 foot collumn, you can fly anything.

I don't know what you've heard about the one in Vegas... so maybe you've got some better gouge them me... but I've heard that the one in Vegas is more of a "ride", where as the ones at say Perris or Eloy are more about teaching skills useful to skydivers.
Brad Hess
Manager
Vegas Indoor Skydiving