GQ_jumper

Any news on the Raeford tunnel?

Yes, indoor recirculator. Larger than any of the other Skyventure tunnels built to date or are on the drawing board as far as I know.

its almost 17 feet in diameter. Draw that out and take a look at it - jesus thats huge. 8way is most certainly not a problem.

Matt

Yes, indoor recirculator. Larger than any of the other Skyventure tunnels built to date or are on the drawing board as far as I know.

its almost 17 feet in diameter. Draw that out and take a look at it - jesus thats huge. 8way is most certainly not a problem.

Where did you see that? SV website says

"14 foot, recirculating 1600HP SkyVenture wind tunnel"

8 ways not a problem already if you go to the right tunnel - a couple of teams here in the UK trained in BFB prior to the 8 way nationals a few months ago :)
Last time I checked, the tunnel on the drawing board wasn't going to be 17 ft either, but "16+ ft". Be interesting to see the results with a tunnel that size (big), and that power (small).

They expect to begin on site construction of this 16 foot, recirculating 1800HP SkyVenture wind tunnel in 4th quarter 2006.

Where did you see that? SV website says "14 foot, recirculating 1600HP SkyVenture wind tunnel

No, it doesn't. http://www.skyventure.com/tunnellocations/default.aspx
Its listed under SkyVenture Fort Bragg.

BTW, I said *almost* 17 feet. It is 16.8 feet in diameter - which as of right now, will make it the largest wind tunnel in the world.

Matt

Last time I checked, the tunnel on the drawing board wasn't going to be 17 ft either, but "16+ ft". Be interesting to see the results with a tunnel that size (big), and that power (small).

Looks to me on SkyVentures website the most common calculation is 100HP per Foot diameter. So actually, it will not be under powered.

Matt

Where did you see that? SV website says "14 foot, recirculating 1600HP SkyVenture wind tunnel

No, it doesn't. http://www.skyventure.com/tunnellocations/default.aspx
Its listed under SkyVenture Fort Bragg.

BTW, I said *almost* 17 feet. It is 16.8 feet in diameter - which as of right now, will make it the largest wind tunnel in the world.

That was where I quoted the size from - I guess they updated it. Unless Tim D'Annunzio is opening more than 1 tunnel as I checked the name to be sure

Does that mean Bodyflight Bedford has the motor for a 40 ft (yes, forty!!) tunnel?

When you start calculating in area rather than diameter, you find out pretty soon that 1600 hp for a 16 ft tunnel is quite low...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

So AirKix and Orlando et al are under-powered you're saying? Both being 1000hp and 12ft (well, Orlando's not a "real" 12ft whereas Airkix is a lot closer but you see my point).

I would say the power requirements are not as linear as you suggest - quite the opposite.

IMO, both Orlando and Airkix would struggle to push the 160mph barrier - yet some claim more than 160mph is achievable with only 800hp more then Orlando, in a flight chamber approaching 3 times the size? Like I said- I'll be interested to see the results and how they do it.

(Edited for speeling :S)

Paul said recently that bedfords 4000hp was enough to do about an 18 foot diameter tunnel.

I would think that for belly speeds this may be OK - would certainly start to struggle if you wanted freefly speeds (over 150mph) if we had another 2 ft diameter. (that extra diameter is a shit load of area!!)

It is not a linear curve of power to diameter but power to volume.... the more area the power needed increases significantly. But also efficiency of the airflow etc make a large difference too.

For example drawing in outside air to cool can make maybe a 20% power difference... or as in our case passing the air over heat exchangers loses power too.. Also how many fliers! and I am guessing the idea would be to increase the number of people also!!

But - On past performance you know that these boys are doing their homework... and to be fair I havent seen a single skyventure tunnel to date that has not flown. So maybe we should let them do their own calculations :D;)

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Does that mean Bodyflight Bedford has the motor for a 40 ft (yes, forty!!) tunnel?

Depends on the design - apparently if it is a SV like tunnel that could be true.

When you start calculating in area rather than diameter, you find out pretty soon that 1600 hp for a 16 ft tunnel is quite low...

The Raeford tunnel is 1800hp.

Matt

If I remember correctly, the tunnel on Fort Bragg itself has a ridiculous amount of HP but only have 1 huge fan. They can crank it up but it doesn't do too well for free flying.

I guess it all depends on the design on how efficient it is going to be.

Matt

If I remember correctly, the tunnel on Fort Bragg itself has a ridiculous amount of HP but only have 1 huge fan. They can crank it up but it doesn't do too well for free flying..

As far as I understand (from several people I know that have visited) The existing Bragg tunnel is capable of speeds around 150mph and has a motor somewhere around 3000HP - at 14ft in Diameter - also freeflying is not a problem in there... seen alot of photos which show this too

Always good to see facilities evolving to new levels...

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

If I remember correctly, the tunnel on Fort Bragg itself has a ridiculous amount of HP but only have 1 huge fan. They can crank it up but it doesn't do too well for free flying..

As far as I understand (from several people I know that have visited) The existing Bragg tunnel is capable of speeds around 150mph and has a motor somewhere around 3000HP - at 14ft in Diameter - also freeflying is not a problem in there... seen alot of photos which show this too

Always good to see facilities evolving to new levels...

I have about 10 hours in the Fort Bragg tunnel and apparantly all the guys I seen try to FF in there must have sucked. ;)

Shows how much desgins are getting so much better. Anyone know when the FB tunnel was built? 70s or 80s wasn't it?

Matt