cloud9

FXC-12000 misfire

Today I followed a student out from 10,500 he is finishing up his SL progression. He had to do some turns and a back loop. He had a good stable exit, then started his turns, right turn went good, then a left turn, then on to the back loop. All went well after coming out of the back loop he started chiping a little he went into a hard arch and bam! the FXC fired at 7000 ft. We have no idea what caused it to fire early. It will be sent back to the factory. I know there was a thread earlier on a cypress misfire and now this one. Be careful out there folks you know the old saying everything comes in three's. Just a good thing he was stable at the time. He went right back up on the next load and did great so I was glad to see that.
Bleau skies

Dear Skymonkee,
The FXC that fired at 2,000' fired within its normal window of operation. The FXC factory recommends leaving a 1500' margin of error above the activation altitude.
In other words, if your FXC 12000 is set to fire at 1,000', then you should plan your dive to be hanging under a fully inflated canopy above 2,500'.

When I was jumping student gear (with FXC) I was told to deploy at 3k or above. I've seen many two canopies out because of those things.
You set it for 1,000 ft, and it's "plus or minus 1,500 ft" ... it's the minus that scares me. Actually, wasn't there a case like that in Indiana this year?

Just my opinion but FXC12000 where designed 20+ years ago and do not belong in student gear. They are better off not having one then having an FXC12000 in their rig. Its just cheap ass DZ owners not investing in modern, more reliable, and easier to maintain ADDs for the students they throw out! Its time to retire these antiquated hunks of metal.

I have seen an FXC misfire so I know enough to have an opinion on it. The incident I saw resulted in 2 canopies out. I believe that a 1500' margin of error is too much. Is it possible that the student in question turned it off and then back on again in the plane on the way to altitude? This could cause it to recalibrate to the higher atmosphere.
Safe landings,
Alex D-23912

Dear Cacaphony,
Go read the owners' manual for the FXC 12000.
There are two separate knobs on an FXC 12000. One knob reads "OFF - JUMP." This knob can be turned by hand.
The second knob adjusts the firing altitude. You need a screwdriver or coin to change the altitude.
There is no connection between the two knobs. Turning an FXC on or off in the airplane does not affect its opening altitude.
Yes, I know, FXC 12000 s are old and clunky, but consider the price. A DZO can purchase used FXCs for less than $300, while new Cypri cost aorund $1000 a piece. So some under-capitalized DZOs are forced to chose between hanging Cypri on a few students or FXCs on all of them.
Also, many long-standing DZs have been using FXCs for dozens of years.

>Yes, I know, FXC 12000 s are old and clunky, but consider the price. A DZO can
> purchase used FXCs for less than $300, while new Cypri cost aorund $1000 a
> piece. So some under-capitalized DZOs are forced to chose between hanging
>Cypri on a few students or FXCs on all of them.
I think this is a poor argument. It can be used to defend the use of round mains, no radios (paddles are cheaper) lack of 100 hour inspections on the aircraft and poorly maintained gear. I have seen all these happen at different drop zones, and at some point, you just have to say that safety is more important than cost - even if it means a DZ can only put 30 students up a day instead of 40.
If the choice comes down to having Cypreses on a few rigs, or a poor AAD on many rigs, I know I'd vote for a Cypres on a few rigs. I've seen too much funny business with other AAD's.
-bill von