liftedtitan

Anyone ever had this happen to them?

The woman is definitely too small to be jumping with this guy. The main side guy may be as well.
Neither one of them had any reason to let go of this guy as he was stable when they did; inverted but stable. Good thing he fixed it himself because they would have been no help to him.
What I also found strange was the casual way the main side guy re-docked. If you are main side and you lose your guy you do not need a smooth dock, you need an immediate dock.

The woman is definitely too small to be jumping with this guy. The main side guy may be as well.
Neither one of them had any reason to let go of this guy as he was stable when they did; inverted but stable. Good thing he fixed it himself because they would have been no help to him.
What I also found strange was the casual way the main side guy re-docked. If you are main side and you lose your guy you do not need a smooth dock, you need an immediate dock.

I thought I saw a weight belt on the reserve-side JM.

I'm thinking there was a lack of JM pre-jump communication on who handles what and who releases on inversions. Even so, maybe both thought they were not contributing to the fix.

IMHO,it's a rare AFFI that can legitimately claim that no student has ever gotten away from them temporarily.

Personally, I don't see it as a major problem unless it's a regular occurrence with those JMs...or, if they had NOT gotten back on well above pull time.

I would think a smooth, controlled dock is preferable. In this case, the re-dock was well above pull altitude...no need for drastic measures.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm thinking there was a lack of JM pre-jump communication on who handles what and who releases on inversions.

That was my exact thought when I saw it. Nothing terribly violent to make both of them unable to hang on. I agree that it was just lack of communication.

There is enough blame to go around for everyone.
IOW Everyone made mistakes on that dive.

The problem started with the student inventing a new exit (eg. rotating about his heels as he fell off the plane.)

I can understand why the reserve side instructor let go, but am mystified as to why the main side instructor let go?????

To their credit, everyone flew properly in the second half of the freefall.

I thought I saw a weight belt on the reserve-side JM

I thought I saw her booties were rolled up and tucked inside her jumprsuit leg up by her knee.

If we both saw what we thought we saw, she should have thought about passing the student to a bigger AFFI. Putting on a weight belt, or rolling up your jumpsuit is one thing, but when you need weights and to roll up your already tight RW suit, you might be pushing your personal limits a bit. Overall, the student didn't do too bad, but if he had really balled up, I think he would have given that AFI a real run for her money.

Don't even get me started on the camera guy. When the exit rolled on the hill, I understood how they got away from him, but nothing can explain the rest of the jump. I hope the student wasn't paying for that video.

"

Is that the normal exit for that type of plane?

"

That is the normal AFF exit from a Skyvan (or most other types of airplane with tail gates/ramps).
However,the student forgot about gently jumping up.
For a student - that big - it is important to only jump up enough to lift your feet off the ramp, because jumping too high will connect the back of your head with the edge of the ramp..