efs4ever

Shooting the Tandem Mal with Handcam. YouTube Video

In the crosspost Russell says,

Lesson for HCam shooters. When you get ready to chop and you have your hand on (through) the reserve handle... don't move the camera into "get the shot" position untill you actually chop.

A very close look at this reveals that my hand movement into shooting the cutaway position popped the reserve a fraction of a second before riser release.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Correct me if I'm wrong but was the reserve fired before the main was cutaway?

I thought the same! Look at the attached picture - the main canopy is still attached, and the reserve PC deployed quite far.

It was about .7 sec before riser release. The result was a very fast deployment. Yes, I fessed up to it. :|
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

Lesson for HCam shooters. When you get ready to chop and you have your hand on (through) the reserve handle... don't move the camera into "get the shot" position untill you actually chop.

So, when executing emergency procedures, you should be thinking only about saving your life, and forget about getting the video. Any time spent thinking about the video, is concentration that is misplaced.

So, when executing emergency procedures, you should be thinking only about saving your life, and forget about getting the video. Any time spent thinking about the video, is concentration that is misplaced.

I think you've been baited:S

Correct me if I'm wrong but was the reserve fired before the main was cutaway?

The reserve was pulled out by the SKYHOOK, The TI even said thankyou SKYHOOK at the end of the video.

Willy

Sorry bro but the reserve was activated before the main was cutaway so the skyhook did not come into play.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.

Sorry bro but the reserve was activated before the main was cutaway so the skyhook did not come into play.

Sorry bro, the skyhook did activate and deployed the reserve. Look at the direction of the reserve pilot chute and how the reserve came out immediately in the direction of the main. If there wasn't a skyhook there would have been a longer delay on the reserve, who knows where the reserve pilot chute would have been by the time the cutaway handle was pulled, nor the body position of the tandems by the time it had enough drag to pull the bag. The skyhook did come into play.

I confessed to the screw up in the initial post. My left hand was gripping the reserve and I moved it to the center to "get the shot" of the chop, and the reserve popped .7 sec before the risers let go. I was already pulling the cutaway handle. It was inadvertent. I didn't realize it until I'd seen the movie a few times.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676

This is a perfect example of why I think handcams are dangerous.

You did not follow a proper emergency procedure. Luckily things worked out for you. Hope you're glad you got the shot instead of putting your hands where they should have been!

You never moved your camera hand in to try to pull the stuck toggle loose and you deployed the reserve early. That's great, watching a RWS tandem examiner pull out of sequence so he could get the shot!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You never moved your camera hand in to try to pull the stuck toggle loose and you deployed the reserve early. That's great, watching a RWS tandem examiner pull out of sequence so he could get the shot!

The short video did not show all the effort. Yes, I DID use both hands. Even the student's hands.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676

The short video did not show all the effort. Yes, I DID use both hands. Even the student's hands.

Was the short video responsible for you pulling out of sequence so you could get the shot?

This is a perfect example of why I have stated that the handicams were dangerous, over the past few years. Someone who should have EPs down flat, a RWS Tandem Examiner, screws them up because of his mind focusing on the camera. Now, what about that kid with 500 jumps and a fresh tandem rating?

Thankfully it turned out well and no one was killed or injured.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

This is a perfect example of why I have stated that the handicams were dangerous, over the past few years. Someone who should have EPs down flat, a RWS Tandem Examiner, screws them up because of his mind focusing on the camera.

Your thoughts towards guns is quite the opposite, seems hypocritical.

This guy fucked up, people fuck up, he admitted it and we have learned off it. handicam allows small cessna skydiving to be feasable, in countries that have been payng over $1 per litre of gas for over a decade. USA has the privilidge of having cheap gas.

Hundreds of thousands of handicam jumps have been made, I have made over 1000 myself. i was just working at the place that developed the handicam concept for tandems (cairns) and they still run outside camera as well.

It need not be a replacement, and it need not be dangerous. A tandem jump wihout handicam seems too easy for me now days.

I had a tandem chop with handicam and it posed no obstuction to my emergency P's.

I got O.k. footage once the reserve handle was pulled too(inadvertantly), but the RSL already had the canopy snivelling by then.

"Do the Banana, Do the banana" I was saying at the time.:D
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I confessed to the screw up in the initial post. My left hand was gripping the reserve and I moved it to the center to "get the shot" of the chop, and the reserve popped .7 sec before the risers let go. I was already pulling the cutaway handle. It was inadvertent. I didn't realize it until I'd seen the movie a few times.

As a USPA and RWS instructor examiner, I recently viewed a video of an incident of an I/E pulling out of sequence, I have the following remarks.

First, my name is Eric Butts. It is embarrassing to be considered a professional on the same level as this individual.
Second, I’m concerned that this individual is not only performing tandems on a regular basis, but is in charge of educating new tandem masters.
Third, On top of this gross and negligent mistake, he has the edacity to post this on a world forum with some sort of assumption that he had performed in a reasonable manner. Somehow believing that the sky hook was responsible for the save. Instead of acknowledging his out of sequence deployment. Sky hood unfortunately doesn’t claim all the credit for this save. You could just as easily thank Zeus, Jesus , or whatever deity may have been responsible for his luck.
Forth, Do I have to wonder if this is the E/p he teaches to his candidates? I would like to think that Upt is already aware of this incident, . I believe that upt will take the appropriate action in this matter. Which I believe is simple.
Finally, in conclusion I will not mention the many other possible outcomes that may have occurred. As professionals, we all know the reality that this could have been another double fatality.

It should be perfectly clear that what is shown in this video is absolutely an OUT OF SEQUENCE DEPLOYMENT and nothing else. It is a perfect example of what not to do in this situation. I expect the rest of the skydiving community to be as alarmed and concerned as I am.

Sincerely,
Eric Butts

Dude, the guy fess'es up and puts the video up for people to learn from and you feel the need to take a holier than than thou stance on the incident. Obviously you've never made a cock up in your illustrious career, but if you do I'd hope you have the balls to front up - but somehow I suspect not. Let he who is perfect cast the first stone... Think thats in the bible - but I'm not a religious man.
2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 lefts do.