efs4ever

Shooting the Tandem Mal with Handcam. YouTube Video

What canopy type was the main?

I still want to know how this toggle got "stuck". I've packed tens of thousands of tandem mains (mostly Icarus), and I NEVER used the snap. Not once did a toggle get stuck. So I'm confused and a little concerned about this malfunction. Please elaborate. I don't want to flame, just want to understand. ;)

I still want to know how this toggle got "stuck". I've packed tens of thousands of tandem mains (mostly Icarus), and I NEVER used the snap. Not once did a toggle get stuck. So I'm confused and a little concerned about this malfunction. Please elaborate. I don't want to flame, just want to understand. ;)

It appears to be a Sigma main with the Sigma container system. Not 100% sure, but close to it; I hope this helps.

An icarus does not have a brake setting like the sigma or EZ.
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

>First, my name is Eric Butts. It is embarrassing to be considered
>a professional on the same level as this individual.

I am glad that this professional made a (non-fatal) error, admitted it and discussed it so we can all learn from it. No one is immune to errors, even "professionals." Indeed, the most dangerous sort of instructor is one who thinks "that could never happen to ME!"

>Second, I’m concerned that this individual is not only performing
>tandems on a regular basis, but is in charge of educating new tandem
>masters.

Rick Horn taught AFF-JM's how to teach emergency procedures for years. Then one day he cut away from a spinner and could not find his reserve handle. His RSL deployed his reserve for him. In my eyes, that makes him a better course director, not a worse one. He now speaks from direct experience when it comes to not being able to find a reserve handle (a problem for some students.)

>Third, On top of this gross and negligent mistake, he has the
>edacity to post this on a world forum with some sort of assumption that
>he had performed in a reasonable manner.

He did not claim he performed in a reasonable manner. He posted what happened on a forum so others might learn from his error. Again, an instructor who is determined to keep all his mistakes secret, lest someone question his professionalism, is the bigger problem.

>Forth, Do I have to wonder if this is the E/p he teaches to his candidates?

No more so than Rick Horn teaches "just pull your cutaway handle and everything will be fine!"

quite often I get a toggle stuck enough that I have to use both hands to pull it down. don't really know how it happens - I only say something to the packer if i can see that it is snapped down. I'm short, so have proportionate arms so sometime have trouble pulling the toggle straight back to unsnap it.
since you don't have to set the brakes on the Icaras, don't have that problem.
:|

Dude, the guy fess'es up and puts the video up for people to learn from and you feel the need to take a holier than than thou stance on the incident. Obviously you've never made a cock up in your illustrious career, but if you do I'd hope you have the balls to front up - but somehow I suspect not. Let he who is perfect cast the first stone... Think thats in the bible - but I'm not a religious man.

I second your motion.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner

I can understand were your comming from. May be a little Harsh. Ill leave at this Im glad nobody got hurt and if we all learned something from it so be it .By no way shape or form am I perfect but I try to be . I just think that it could have been alot worse and dont want it to be taken lightly.

This is a Sigma 370

It is a Sigma 340.

According to UPT the Snap is designed to keep the toggle from being shoved too far in.

If the brakes are stowed in reverse order the secondary can usually release the mess.

Didn't work for me this time, however.

I'll go back to stowing brakes every time.

This won't happen again with me. Live and LEARN.
(DIE and OTHERS Learn... hopefully.)
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com