popsjumper

Repeat a Level, Not FAIL a level

makes Ya'wonder how it woulda' been handled if it was a dude. We've all seen that behavior @ a DZ b4. Unfortunate it has to happen. A word may be needed, but it doesn't have to be deroguertory(?) Nobody wants to get hurt. Simply helping a person understand this so they can make a better informed decision is what it should be about. No wonder the sport is losing so many people each yr. Who needs to spend as much as this fun costs and be made to feel like crap? Just a side note, if a student doesn't pass a level, who really failed, the instructor or the student?

... if a student doesn't pass a level, who really failed, the instructor or the student?

Neither

everybody wins, both get to jump again, the DZ makes a lot of money for an extra training jump

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

How do YOU tell a student that a repeat is necessary?

I explain exactly what the Targeted Learning Objectives I need to see before we do the jump, then during video debrief I ask them if they thought they completed the TLO's. Most will deside for themselves as to whether they need to repeat.

That wouldn't have worked on me... I'd have failed myself on three or four levels that my instructors passed me on. To me pass equals perfect, but to them pass equaled met the objectives. I'd land and say "OMG that dive sucked!" and the instructor would be looking at me saying "what are you talking about?"

That wouldn't have worked on me... I'd have failed myself on three or four levels that my instructors passed me on. To me pass equals perfect, but to them pass equaled met the objectives. I'd land and say "OMG that dive sucked!" and the instructor would be looking at me saying "what are you talking about?"

You were probably one that needed to be assured it is ok for you to do a solo...... ;)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com