Lizz

Development of training materials

Hello
Does anyone know if there a site or forum that deals with the development of training materials for skydiving?
I've had a look but can't find anything specifically on training development...
I'd be keen to hear from anyone in the TD and skydiving field,
Thanks,
Lizz.

RiggerRob, Thanks for your reply. I checked out all the sites you mentioned.
I am looking for a parachute training curriculum developed using a 'competency based traing approach'. The two Canadian sites (CSPA and NCCP) seem to be what I'm looking for.
I can't tell from the other sites what methodology their training is developed in, but will send them an email and ask.
If anyone else out there has a particular interest in these things I'd be keen to hear from you too.
Thanks,
Lizz.

I hope I am on the same topic as you. I too am always looking for materials regarding skydiving intstruction. I would love to see several versions of first jump courses that different DZ's have. That would be a great site also to have forum that lets instructors give thier ideas or tips on training students.
Let me know what you find...............

Yes, we're on the same topic.
I would also like to compare first jump courses.
There may also be commercial sensitivities with this kind of information, perhaps that is a reason it's not easy to come by.
But maybe it's possible to buy instructional materials - does anyone know?.

I don't understand the "comercial sensitivities"
I just had a student this weekend that did her first AFF jump with us then her second in Zepherhills. She said they were unfamiliar with our exit fo instance(though apparently they worked with it and kept it consistant). She said the student training manuals are pretty well done there. Should have had her smuggle one back to me. But this is why it would be nice to find a page or forum were we could get some ideas or offer some.
I will check out the sights on the most recent reply.

I'm looking for parachute training which has been developed using a 'systems approach', developed using a thorough task analysis (in terms of physical and mental skills, attitudes and knowledge), and with a thorough assessment, pre-jump, during the jump, and post jump.
I would like to find materials that are written for the instructor to use, not just for the student.
The military and some industry develop training using the Systems Approach. I think it's very good and reduces the occurrence of taking things for granted, on both the instructor and trainee's parts.
The reason I thought that training materials could be commercially sensitive is that if they are very good, then the writers of them might want to sell them rather than make them freely available. I was looking for a reason to explain why it's hard to come accross this kind of material.
I have looked at the Ohio (phreezone) material and the SIM pdf file. They are both great in terms of information from the student's perspective, but still do not tell what the instructor should *do* except for oral quizzes. For example, I'm looking for material that says things like:
"Training Objective 1: Identify and Describe Purpose of Main Components of Student Parachute Rig
(Prior to class, photocopy student handouts.)
State: "By the end of this objective you will be able to identify and describe the purpose of the main components of your parachute rig."
Instruct the trainees to gather around a packed, complete student parachute rig. Point to and explain the purpose of the following parts:.....
Invite trainees to ask questions.
Provide practice to trainees by getting trainees to work in pairs and name and describe the purpose of the various parts (one trainee checking with answer sheet, then swapping over). Monitor trainees.
Test the trainees' understanding by individually asking each trainee to name and explain each part of the rig.
Re-test and consolidate understanding by following up with a written test (fill in blanks on diagram) at the start of the next training session."
That kind of stuff!
Lizz

The Skydive University Basic Body Flight Coach Certification Course is excellent in this regard. The course is four days long, and goes through training philosophy, types of learning, very specific ways to teach each module, and analyze how your client is doing. It includes what to look for, how each drill should be done, the number of repetitions of each drill, and how to gauge if a client has learned the technique well enough.
The course costs about $400 and is worth it. All the training materials you are looking for come with the course, but as you have said, they are not going to give away something they spent years developing.
- Dan G

I am basically looking for the best syllabus out there to train the FJC and all the indidvidual levels. Getting through the AFFCC course was a learning experience, and teaching TLO's and all that, but not enough actuall info to train properly. The SIM is to scattered to teach right out of it.

Actually, there are a number of air skills you have to demonstrate (either on tape or with the Course Instructor) and then take the certification course. Once you complete these things, you are on "intern" status (which is where I am right now). Then you have to do at least fifty one-on-one coach jumps with actual clients, and submit as many as you can on video for review. If they like what they see, you become a full fledged coach.
No one said it was easy, but that is why SDU has such a good reputation.
- Dan G