210_zoom

Coach

In no particular order, relative work, no contact slot flying, teaching skills, listening skills, general awareness & observation skills,.

Blues,
Dave

What Dave said plus being able to remember what you saw during the jump and relating it in a constructive way to help the student improve. I found the prejump instruction and post jump debrief are the hardest things to master. Just takes practice. I've been lucky to have good instructors to emulate. The coach rating is like any other, a license to continue learning.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I have 76 jumps to date and am wondering what would be good skills to improve and work on.

Everything!;)

More seriously, what helped me more than anything else in getting my AFFI rating was doing a lot of 4-way. NOTHING else teaches you flying skills as quickly/efficiently. I understand that joining a team isn't everyone's cup of tea, but above-average RW skills are essential to being a good coach/AFFI, and if you want to be one you need to focus on RW. Freefly, wingsuit and all that other stuff is cool and fun, but not very helpful when you've got a student spinning on their back. If you've got some RW competitors at your DZ talk to them about the "mantis" flying style and start working on it now, while your muscle memory is still forming... everything about it is 1000% better than the way most people fly, but you'll rarely see a non-4-way guy using it.

Other than that, I'd say try to pay attention to the instructors/coaches/organizers around you... make a note of who does a great job and who does a not-so-great job and why, and make mental notes to emulate the behavior of the good ones. Good teaching skills are as important as good flying skills.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I have 76 jumps to date and am wondering what would be good skills to improve and work on.

Everything!;)

More seriously, what helped me more than anything else in getting my AFFI rating was doing a lot of 4-way. NOTHING else teaches you flying skills as quickly/efficiently. I understand that joining a team isn't everyone's cup of tea, but above-average RW skills are essential to being a good coach/AFFI, and if you want to be one you need to focus on RW. Freefly, wingsuit and all that other stuff is cool and fun, but not very helpful when you've got a student spinning on their back. If you've got some RW competitors at your DZ talk to them about the "mantis" flying style and start working on it now, while your muscle memory is still forming... everything about it is 1000% better than the way most people fly, but you'll rarely see a non-4-way guy using it.

Other than that, I'd say try to pay attention to the instructors/coaches/organizers around you... make a note of who does a great job and who does a not-so-great job and why, and make mental notes to emulate the behavior of the good ones. Good teaching skills are as important as good flying skills.

I feel that almost all of my in-air belly skills are based on doing 4-way. Made significant improvements in everything I did. :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Tunnel. Tunnel. More Tunnel. Tell your tunnel instructor what you're trying to do, and they will help you.

Belly flying skills, and talking skills. Sit in on as many AFF ground schools as you can - offer to help teach parts (under supervision).
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I agree - 4 way really teaches you to be a disciplined flyer.

They biggest problem that most people have doing RW in groups is levels and fall rate. People who say, "I fall fast" haven't learned to control their fall rate yet.

Oh yeah- tunnel with coaching.

That is all.
http://3ringnecklace.com/