overide

C licens seeking some advice on aff

I am going for my aff this summer hopefully

anyone know if it is likely for me to find a job as aff if i only have the 215 + jumps?

and if so curious what is the average per jump pay for aff instructor?

and one last anyone know if the north nj aera dzs would be running a class after july 10th since thats when i get back from my honeymoon

maby i could find a dz willing to train me then have me work it off haha =P that would be awesome

sumthing funny i just saw someone saying that i should have 6 hours freefall expierence i have 4 but however this requirement i cant find in the instructor rating manual or proficancy card anywhere

not to mention it wasnt stated be the instructor of an aff cource near me? is this a instructor decision or a new ruling since 2006?

sumthing funny i just saw someone saying that i should have 6 hours freefall expierence i have 4 but however this requirement i cant find in the instructor rating manual or proficancy card anywhere

not to mention it wasnt stated be the instructor of an aff cource near me? is this a instructor decision or a new ruling since 2006?

Check this out: http://www.skydiveratings.com/aff.html

In my opinion a person with potentially 350 jumps is nowhere near enough to be an AFFI.......but hey.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

http://uspa.org/publications/manuals.pdf/2006IRMEssentials.pdf

Excerpt from the IRM (Instructional Rating Manual)

Check page 16 A 4 for qualifications for an AFF rating.

6 hours is a requirement. Some people have been ready with 6 hours, however it is rare. I have seen people with 12 hours of freefall struggle in a rating course. If you are serious about attaining your rating with the minimum 6 hours I highly recommend finding an AFF Evaluator in your area to help you better prepare. If you can not find one in the area, then consider visiting somewhere. Many skydivers travel to "train" for RW, freefly, canopy piloting, etc.

edited to make link clickable

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

First of all, I hope you get your rating. You definitely have the attitude to teach people (I'm new to sport, and know how much good approach means to new people)

Having said that I also have to ask you to rethink whether you are qualified/prepared to become an AFFI this summer.

For once, it's a requirement of 6 hours in freefall. You say, you have a total of ~210. which puts you around 3 (excluding your CREW jumps even less). I can see that it is possible to get 6hrs+ this summer though. So keep jumping
:D

What gets my attention is your time in sport.
As I plan to become an AFFI in the future, I want to ask these several questions:

Do you have all it takes now to take the responsibility for other people's lifes?
Have you experienced it all to be confident enough to pass your knowledge to others?

According to your posts you had 27 jumps just 7 months ago. You say 3 years in sport, but it seems like it's less than a year of active jumping.

Can you honestly say that you are 200% prepared to guide people to this sport safely?
Do you have all the answers to their every possible question? Are these answers backed up by your experience, or manuals and other people's words?
How would you live with yourself, if one of your students got hurt?

I don't want to bring you down, or flame you.
Just like yourself, I want to be an AFFI one day, but I will attend a course when I know, I'm the best I can be. It just doesn't seen feasible when I have 200-300-400 jumps (and its not because I'm a slow learner)

Because I know my experience is very limited in this sport, you can disregard my post, if you wish too.
I, however, thought that it would be good and beneficial for you to consider all these things before you start your AFF course.

PS
I have to give credit to some certain experienced South African gentleman at this one particular DZ in FL, who made me think deeply about these questions B|

actually as it would have it i just havent updated my drozone profile since i started it

as far as teaching i have taken jumps with evaluators before and they have reccomended i start the aff cources and coach cources

as far as the 6 hours goes i see what people are talking about guess i will ahave to to talk to my instructors worst case that means one more year besids all sigs are valid for 24 months so no biggie

just a goal for me in the next 3 years haha

thanks for the insites people

Just be ready. Its easier than it used to be, but its still one of the most difficult and draining things I've participated in. I waited until I had about 1500 jumps before I took the course...and I mean waited. I always had the desire to get my rating, but I wanted to wait until I had a little experience under my belt and was a fully prepared candidate for the course.

The ground preps suck ass...much harder than the actual jumps.

Cheers,
Travis

High school is no prep for this. I know you were joking, but the course used nothing I learned in High School and even if it did...it was on a totally bigger scale. I like to think I'm getting good at studying and what not being my last year in undergrad and applying to graduate school right now. Total different game in the AFF course.

Cheers,
Travis

Hi

I also got my AFFI rating in December last year and had just 6 hours of freefall and 372 jumps when I finished the course. I've done only about 9 groundschools and 9 AFF jumps since and i love it and am so glad I did it! The instructors here wouldn't let me do the jumps and the groundschools if they didn't think I was capable and had the ability to do it.

I've been in the sport for almost three years (not very long I know) but have spent a lot of time at DZ's learning from others (mainly instructors and very experienced jumpers).

If you have a goal, go for it but don't get disappointed if you don't get it first time. Keep working for it and towards it and you'll get there.

Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can do today

AggieDave said something in similar thread back in Oct '04. I thought it was the best statement I ever heard about etting an AFFI rating.

you have to ask yourself if you're going to be a good enough instructor for your students or are you going to be just good enough to pass the course... Aggie Dave

steveOrino