mattaman

Underage students

In response to the original poster ...
A long time ago, in a country far far away, before there were many rules, I did tandem jumps with two 13 year old girls.
The first girl was great.
The second girl got a death grip on my left thumb at pull time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember that this was when Vectors only had one drogue release - on the lower left corner.
Remember that this was long before Cypres was invented.
That incident scared me so badly, that I have not taught any under-age students since then!!!!!!!

If I am running errands for the partner of my accounting firm, and I get into a fender bender, the firm is liable.

I may be named in the suit, but they are required to pay for my legal defense, and the judgement if I lose.

Doug, if you "killed" someone while running errands for work, that would be a different matter....they'd go after the Firm, and YOU...and probably rob your new accounting career of future earnings. :(

I've heard about company drivers having this happen to them.

Of course, as you know, I just play lawyer...:P

Interesting point, do you think it had to do with physical age or her mental age, or both.
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THIS FEEDBACK FROM ALL INTSTRUCTORS ON THIS, AT WHAT AGE DO YOU THINK A PERSON, DEPENDING ON COMPETENCY CAN LEARN TO SKYDIVE? I think a competent 12 year old could do it, cause I see solid 12 year olds kick ass in other adreneline stuff, when trained properly
Those stuck in maya, seek to be seen.

If I am running errands for the partner of my accounting firm, and I get into a fender bender, the firm is liable.

I may be named in the suit, but they are required to pay for my legal defense, and the judgement if I lose.

Doug, if you "killed" someone while running errands for work, that would be a different matter....they'd go after the Firm, and YOU...and probably rob your new accounting career of future earnings. :(

I've heard about company drivers having this happen to them.

Of course, as you know, I just play lawyer...:P

Actually - they go after the firms "hired but not owned" liability auto policy for the 3rd party injury/damage. They go after the company Workman's Compensation insurance for any injury to the company employee... The person who owns the car would have to pay for any damage to the car - unless it was owned by the company, then the company policy would pay...

All assuming proper coverage was purchased...

This is why my company has to pay 2-5X the work comp rate on any employee who leaves the office while they are on the clock - and we have to pay auto insurance for non-owned cars just in case someone drives on the clock.

Because most liability umbrella coverages are secondary and above work comp - it would take millions in claims to actually hit the owners...

There are a lot of ways to use bad judgment in skydiving that have nothing to do with athletic performance under high speed, high adrenaline conditions. Kids do dumb things as they play their way to solutions. That's one of the reasons why they learn so fast. Young adults, and old adults, also do dumb things, but we seem to do them less and less as we age. Skdiving is a very poor school of hard knocks. I think legal age of majority is a good place to start, and my opinion on that has nothing to do with waivers (although I appreciate the legal arguments as well). Blue skies,

Interesting point, do you think it had to do with physical age or her mental age, or both.
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THIS FEEDBACK FROM ALL INTSTRUCTORS ON THIS, AT WHAT AGE DO YOU THINK A PERSON, DEPENDING ON COMPETENCY CAN LEARN TO SKYDIVE?

Mike Mullins kids are perfect examples. Ask them. ;)

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com