steveorino

Class 3 medical exam and vision

Anyone here tell me what is entailed in Class 3 medical exam regarding vision? I have 20/20 in my right eye, but my left eye is probably 20/150. I had a blocked central retinal vein (idiopathic) a few years back. It doesn't impede me in anything. In fact I got my D and PRO after it happened.

steveOrino

Hey Steve

I don't know how it works for tandem instruction, but when I went to get my physical for my pilots license I failed the eye exam, I had to do a check ride with an FAA official that certified I was able to fly. I have wondered if my eyesight would restrict me getting a tandem rating as well.

Kevin

Blue Skies and Stand-up Landings!!!!!!

When I took my class 3, I had to read a typical eye chart, they checked me for color blindness. Then I looked into this lighted box that had lines of "C"s in it that got gradually smaller as you went down the list. It was like a regular eye chart, but you had to tell them which way the opening of the "C" was facing. I would assume that all class 3 requirements would be the same, but you know what happens when you "assume" anything.

I don't know the finer points of FAA medicals, but I do know that they frequently issue "waivers" for minor medical problems. If you have perfect vision in you r"ggod" eye, it should be easy to get a waiver.

For example, my weak eyeballs need such strong lenses that I cannot drive or fly without them, but both the FAA and Transport Canada have issued me pilot medicals with the limitation that I must wear corrective lenses.

For example: one of the most famous American aviators: Roscoe Turner lost an eye in an oil rig accident, but still went on to set a variety of World REcords back in the 1930s.

This brings to questions what all is entailed to a class 3 medical physical.? i mean what do they check
eyes, hearing, blood work, Blood pressure, prostate, etc......

If I remember correctly, its a basic health check. Hearing, eyes, blood pressure and the such. They didn't draw blood or anything like that.

Basically it seemed that if you could somehow make it into the Doc's office under your own power (or with very little help) you could score a Class III medical.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The AOPA website lists 20/40 near and distant vision (with or without corrective lenses) as the Class 3 medical requirement. If you're unsure about your medical status, it's probably worth joining AOPA for a few bucks before you see an AME for your physical. The members' section of the site has tons of info on medicals, plus they have a staff that can answer some medical & procedural questions by phone.

According to AOPA, in a Class 3 medical the FAA looks for: near vision, distant vision, color vision, hearing, blood pressure, ENT vertigo or equilibrium problems, disqualifying conditions (stuff like pacemakers :o, fainting spells :(, substance abuse :), etc.), and disqualifying medications.

If you're looking for a waiver, there's a "Statement of Demonstrated Ability" or SODA that does not need to be renewed over time. Seems like the way to go if you can get one. The "Authorization for Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate" type of waiver has to be renewed, but it would be better than nothing.

One other thing I'd recommend is talking to the pilots in your area about the reputation of each of the local AME's. Most are pretty reasonable, but if you go to a picky one by bad luck, you'll have a hell of a time getting anything changed for the better once it's in your records. Good luck with your Class 3.

Lance

mental disturbances

That includes taking anti-depressants. Not just the mental health problems that create serious situations that have incredibly strong psychotropics with really bad side effects.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

This brings to questions what all is entailed to a class 3 medical physical.? i mean what do they check
eyes, hearing, blood work, Blood pressure, prostate, etc......

Like everyone has said, they check all aspects of your vision, take blood pressure, hernia check. They did a urine test also. Don't remember what it was for because I thought it was a drug test, but a friend of mine told me it was for something else, just can't remember what it was for

A class 3 medical is like a sports physical in highschool. they check pee with a colored dipstick, blood pressure, hearing, eyes (nothing too intense), the old feel ur balls and cough, etc. no drug blood work or drug testing or anything else too invasive. Ask around at your airport (instructors) as to who's a good doctor to go to for your class 3. They'll usually point u to a guy who doesn't bust balls over minor stuff. Hope that helps.
"Remember the First Commandment: Don't Fuck Up!"
-Crusty Old Pete