skydiver30960

Do you take a winter break from paid instruction?

Pit Meadows is open 7 days a week from May through the end of October. I try to only work 6 days out of every week!
Hah!
Hah!
From Halloween to Easter, we are officialy only open on weekends, but I still rig 5 or 6 days out of every week. If a student wants to come out on a weekday .. I do a few mid-week jumps during the winter.
Practically, we only jump one weekend in December and one weekend in January, because the clouds come to play far too often. The West Coast of Canada may rarely get much below freezing, but we get lots of rain over the winter.

Moving to the midwest from sunny California and warm tropical Hawaii, I thought I could adapt to be a cold weather jumper ... :S

Heck, I'm tough ... And everyone else was doing it ... SO I decided to devise a way to skydive when it was 23 degrees on the ground covered with snow. It took me about a half hour, but what I came up with was a plan.

Thinking I was cool, being like all the other cold weather skydivers, I exuberantly boarded the airplane for my first skydive in the snow; a 4,500 ft. hop n pop. As soon as I got out on a bad spot which was also my first time jumping at this particular airport and realized that in the 'ole airport aerial photo we saw, the ground was not "white", I eventually realized by seeing my smaller VX, Velo friends that I was waaaaaay downwind ... Shise!

And after landing in snow "off" and realizing Damn, what if I had a cutaway in this stuff...

And ... After being a full time cold winter AFF instructor last year >:( B|...

Ummm, I think I'll stick to rigging indoors with heat and go skydive someplace warm like Florida and Hawaii this winter :):):)
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

I'm just looking forward to another winter without tandem jumping with a mix of sadness and relief, and wondered what everyone else's winter plans were...

Yah, I take a winter break every week. I have one or two days off every week. Last week my day off was Friday and it was great. About 10:30AM I got a phone call from the DZ asking if I could come in to help out. What a nice day off :P

I have tomorrow off so I should only do 2 to 3 jumps:ph34r:

Awe Shark!!! I tried to fit SoCal in, but the airline logistics wouldn't let me on this trip, so I am stopping in Vegas instead. Damn it Jim!

Still got that bottle of wine with my name on it? LOL That was like 2-3 years ago now huh?

Good to see you still on the forums. Take care.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

Awe Shark!!! I tried to fit SoCal in, but the airline logistics wouldn't let me on this trip, so I am stopping in Vegas instead. Damn it Jim!

Still got that bottle of wine with my name on it? LOL That was like 2-3 years ago now huh?

Good to see you still on the forums. Take care.

Uh, yeah, but it's almond champagne from the local whinery! >:( :$

We work all year round (Empuriabrava) but i have just had 12 days in the UK seeing family, friends, eating curry, fish and chips, cake, crisps, chinese, pizza, roast beef, turkey dinners and sausages.... and getting very very drunk!!! B|

puuuuure bliss!!!!

Put on half a stone in a week!

Best holiday i have ever had!

now need to get in shape for the summer!! :S
--------------------------------------