John4455

High Profile Tandems

yuppers, did a japanese gal in Guam, she was some show host, and it was filmed; the inteverview, the gear up, the training, and of course the 180 degree hook turn landing....that was the best. Once the camera's were off after the training, I was VERY specific on how to arch, and what NOT to do, mostly since I was using handy, and there were 2 outside videos. It all worked out just nice. I treated her like any other hottie....just kidding. Treated her just like any other student.
my pics & stuff!

He wasnt high profile, but I did take my son. THAT was the most important jump of my life! Especially know that his grandma would be watching!...
Good Times!

BASE 3:16 - Even if you are about to land on a cop - DONT FORGET TO FLARE!
Free the soul -- DJ

Did one years ago with a German TV host for a kids-program. One of those "How things work" shows. ('Mausclub' for the German audience...)
So I explained how a parachute worked, took this girl up, geeked at the camera, and landed in front of the TV crew. My passenger was to incoherent to finish what she had to say ("So kids, now you know how parachutes work, thank you, I hope you have enjoyed it - etcetera") so we had to do it once more, just for the final scene...

One year later a German kid (five years old maybe) walks into the hangar and starts to explain the working of the parachute to me - "this goes in there, and this is what you have to pull and then first this comes out" etcetera.
"You are very knowledgable about parachutes" I say to him - "How do you know all this stuff?" I ask.
"I'm an expert on parachutes because I have seen it on the TV in the Mausclub!"
"And ($64000 question) Do You Know Who I Am?"

"Nah - no idea, never seen YOU before..." :):)
(in fact the photo of my avatar to the left of this post is me with Sharry Reeves - from that show...)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

It wasn't in 1985, neither was it 'Der Sendung mit der Maus'. But I can understand where the mix-up is coming from: 'Mausclub' was a spin-off from 'Der Sendung mit der Maus' - I doubt thats me on the video you found - from the top of my head: the jump was in 1997. (and I have the video somewhere 'deep in the archive', of course.)

(Update my avatar? says who? The profile police? :)
And now that you got me 'googling', I did find Shary back:

what she's doing nowadays and where to buy her signature online

(OMG - she IS famous in Germany - people offer her signature for sale on the internet - and I make a typo in her name :$...then again, I'm not from Germany...)

there's nothin you couldn't find on the net

True - just have to spel it the right way :S

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Any TI's out there ever taken celebrities, news people or any other similar types on tandem jumps?
If so, did you act differently? Were you more nervous, knowing it would be televised?

Have taken a few, one currently screening in England.

I don't do anything differently - here's what's going through my head:

1) I'm a professional for all my customers
2) I'm an entertainer for all my customers
3) My best is good enough for all my customers
4) The Celebrity is the star here, not me

But my heart rate is always up when landing. Don't want to break 'em!

L.

Any TI's out there ever taken celebrities, news people or any other similar types on tandem jumps?

Yes.

If so, did you act differently?

Nope. Some paid more, but the same job was done.

Were you more nervous, knowing it would be televised?

Nope.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

we did a telivized tandem a few weeks ago and I was cackin it.. We did the first jump from the North Island of NZ to the South Island with a tandem. We had a TV crew at our departure point and a crew at our landing site.
Yes we were all very aware that if we stuffed it up then national TV would record every moment..
All went well and many beers were bought that night..

I think you'll find most of us T-I's have had some form of celebrity of Vip as a "Student". I also think you'll find most T-I's treat them all the same and give there best effort.

I think the poster that said he is a proffesional, entertainer and gives his best on all his tandems is conveying the best attittude over all.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

we did a telivized tandem a few weeks ago and I was cackin it.. We did the first jump from the North Island of NZ to the South Island with a tandem. We had a TV crew at our departure point and a crew at our landing site.
Yes we were all very aware that if we stuffed it up then national TV would record every moment..
All went well and many beers were bought that night..

hey up neil hows it hangin,bak in the uk now as you know buggger all has changed hope evrything is goin ok for you in nz

hey Chris,
so you made it back to the uk!!
All well here.
The Xpress flights are starting to take off after our TV thing a few weeks ago. Its sooo cool lining up with 747s at Wellington in our little 206 and flying over the Strait. Im hoping we may have found our niche.
Keep in touch via my DZ email,
Cheers.
N