NoShitThereIWas

Scariest AFF jumps

I was wondering if there are any AFF Instructors out there who have an exciting, juicier than average AFF story (or two) they would like to share, and if so, what was their method of action to deal with and correct the problem.

I know there are some good ones out there >:( hehehe

Or ... have you had any "bizarre" or extraordinary students?

Thanks and blue skies.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

I have yet to experience anything more exciting than what they showed me during the AFF course. It really looked like that student was decapitated, but it was only his helmet.

Now on the other hand, I have had several very exceptional students. They were so good, I felt bad getting paid.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

All aff jumps go just like they were dirt dived I have never seen one be scary;):o;) Bring an affI a beer some time and they might tell a scary story or two.

They always go as planned.. of course not everyone is clued into the plan... and we get to find out at the most inopportune moments.. those rascally students.. clever little buggers.. ;)
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

I had a student on a level-1 ( a real space case). This dude got into the caravan door alittle funky (really bent forward at the waist). On the exit count he raised his back up and hit the main container on the top of the door. This of course popped the main pin, and I and the main side were looking across the students back at 4 open flaps in freefall. The bag was going no where, but I held it down with my hand until the MJM zapped out the pilot chute. Now I had a student pulled out at 10,000. In that situation you are supposed to pull too to guide the student in. Like I said earlier this dude was a real space case. He ended up landing out. When debriefing him, this guy had no real idea what had happened. Students are fun.

I'm not a AFF instructor, just a humble skydiver
but this story is fun,
Back in th 80's I started on static in England
an due to weather an work it was taking to long
so I went to EmpuriaBrava to do AFF, my instructors
were Reddy Redfern an a young Bruno Brokken, on the third jump they changed
to Mitch Decotau an Reddy. at exit I muffed the count an swung my leg
wrong, Mitch being primary saw this an tried to correct the mistake
with his leg but my swing was quite energetic an I left the aircraft with Mitch in tow.
I ended up straddled across his back an stayed there till 8000ft
(bronco style). My aff finished without further incidents.
Months later when talking to Mitch about this,He said that you were stable on
my back Reddy had given me the thumbs up (meaning I was stable an not freaked out)
so he let me stay there instead of trying to buck me off an get me stable again.
He failed me on that level but the learning curve was worth 50 jumps.
I wonder how many instructors today have that kind of Intuition

Dont know where Mitch is now but I sorley miss his Margaritas

Gone fishing