peek

Interesting S/L attachment point

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet. Has anyone noticed where and how the S/L is attached in the photo on page 58 of the June 04 Parachutist?

I wouldn't want my head under the bar if the student became entangled in the S/L.

can someone put a scan of the pic up?

Done! It looks like the static line is threaded over the top of the hand-hold bar running under the top edge of an Otter door, and then clipped to itself.

It seems like if the student was to get hung up in the static line, the clip would just slide back to the rear end of the bar.

(I am not an instructor.)

And there is literature somewhere that says the attachment point has to be part of the aircraft, and certain parts count but other parts don't. Seat components, I seem to recall, don't count, which is why we have these rings bolted into the floor on our 182s. I would suspect that an inside otter bar with a sticker next to it that says "do not hang from bar" would also not be considered sufficiently "structural" to satisfy the literature.

Now if someone can just remember where this is written, and whether it is an FAR, a recommendation, or a BSR or what. I thought I saw it in my SIM somewhere...

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I don't know the USPA regs, but the precise setup for a SL strongpoint is detailed in the parachuting supplement to the flight manual for the plane.

Of course, if you do totally ignore it, round here you get a letter reminding you of your responsibilities.>:(
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

The primary reason for not attaching static-lines to seats is that long-long-ago some "genius" attached a static-line to the pilot's seat of a Cessna and - when his student reached the end of his line - broke the pilot's seat.
Otherwise, many seat, seatbelt and cargo attachment points will suffice.
But - to be sure - consult the aircraft manual.

At the very least, the static line should be slid to the rear of the bar, as close as possible to the bulkhead. This will reduce the bending moment on the bar and place the load in shear if the student should end up in tow. This would make it less likely to bend or break the bar.

I would suspect that an inside otter bar with a sticker next to it that says "do not hang from bar" would also not be considered sufficiently "structural" to satisfy the literature.

Where do you see such a sticker in this picture?

- Dan G

Most people underestimate the forces on a strong point.

I once saw a broken strongpoint which was also not the official strongpoint but something manufactured by the owner.

This was in france, with a pilatus porter
No accidents, parachute opened because the jumpmaster had the line also in his hand
(He had a minor injury on his hand because of the snap)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habit,
Especially when you are jumping a sport rig

I would suspect that an inside otter bar with a sticker next to it that says "do not hang from bar" would also not be considered sufficiently "structural" to satisfy the literature.

Where do you see such a sticker in this picture?

- Dan G

Well, in this picture I don't. In the Twin Otter at Kapowsin I do. I assume (without knowledge or detailed inspection of the picture) that this bar is also effectively affixed to the skin of the aircraft and not a beefy load-bearing member.

Clearly, if this plane has some sort of reinforced doorframe, I would be in error. :)
Edited to add: in the picture, the bar goes through the panel on the left. So this could be some monster structural bar. Hey, maybe it's legit.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I think the SL is probably placed where it is so the student is not getting out with line around the front of their body, but I am not a SL instructor.

- Dan G

I agree that it needs to be behind the student. Another good reason to slide it all the way to rear. I've JM'd hundreds of S/L's.

Wrong Rupert,

It is nothing to do with the Parachuting authority, it is to do with the CAA or in the case of th US the FAA.

Most aircraft have nothing in their flight manual about static line parachuting, they have supplements regarding flight with the door removed etc and limitations associated with that type of operation.

Most aircraft manufacturers like Cessna will not endorse static line parachuting from their aircraft with something attached to the pilots seat like in some 182/185/206 set ups or on rows 2 and 3 seat belt attachments, mainy for the fear of liability after a failure. This is the reason here in the UK we have generic modifications that a former NCSO of the BPA put to the the CAA in the mid 70's and hence we have BPA minor mod 1 & 2 which are NOT aircraft specific. This was put into place after an incident where a whole aircraft was lowered to the ground under an iflated reserve after a hang up (an I24 I believe) where the static line was most probably looped around or attached the pilots seat!

Blue skies CSBabyI

Alan,
More ratings than I can be bothered posting unlike some children on here