SEREJumper

Something you don't see everyday...

Well I'd like to share with my fellow History and Trivia forum enthusiasts something pretty cool. I'll let you guess as to what it is, since most of us like the chance to test the 'ol brain matter or find a reason to pull out our poynters manual.

I know who made it, thats all I'm saying! Have fun!

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/Gearpics/Vintage%20Parachute/
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

"Russell" does indeed sound good according to the Poynters' photos. We're much more likely to remember what the canopy looks like, than the container. You'll tell us the rig's story I assume.

And stow the ripcord, it's dangling out of the pocket. :)

Ok, Ok good job guys! It is in fact a Russell "Lobe" Parachute, made by the Russell Parachute Company, San Diego, CA.

I have a lot of research to do on this, without very much info to be gained from the previous owner. I can't confirm the DOM since I have not opened it up yet to see if the canopy is marked in any way, I also do not know if it is silk or the cotton variety of canopy yet. The carry bag it came in (and I guess spent its ENTIRE life in) is marked with a different serial # than what is on the container. I'm not sure if the container stamp is factory russell, or the servicing dealer that packed it stamped it.

I can tell you this for certain, it was packed in 1936 only once form the parachute dealer and has been like that way for up to 83 years! (If in fact built in 1930 like the carry bag states).

The way the ripcord opens up the container with no pilot chute is very interesting. I would have (tried to) stow the ripcord, but the bungee inside the ripcord pocket has long since given up the fight to hold anything, so the ripcord will not stay in unfortunetly.

The other interesting note about this container is the D-rings on the main lift webs, I initially thought this was a PEP, but after looking in Poynters, I noticed Russell had made a "Trainer" container that allowed a chest reserve to be fitted on the front!!! So could this be one of the oldest "dual" parachute skydiving rigs in existance?!? Maybe!

I haven't figured out when/where/how I'm going to open it up to inspect it, but if/when I do it will be fully documented since I do not think another one of these, in this conditon/state will be found anytime soon.

Has anyone ever seen a Russell Lobe in person, either in a museum or personal collection? It would be interesting to know.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I'll share the details when I get them, it was a fairly normal online transaction with the seller that did not know much about it, but his brother might. He is suppose to call me in a few days with hopefully more insight.

I will be posting more pics soon as well.

Glad you all have enjoyed the rig!

John Tranum was a test jumper for the Russell Lobe for a while in the twenties, before switching to Irving, I believe. He wrote a book called Nine Lives - the life of the parachutist John Tranum. It's pretty interesting if you can find it. He did a couple of parachute jumps by riding motorcycles off of cliffs (canyon de chely I believe), and no, the pathe film of the motorcycle jump onto the hydro wires near san diego on the internet is not him, but he did help Shorty Osborne get ready for it.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone