captain1976

Identify this please

I can't for the life of me remember what these were called (see pix). This particular 4 line release is different than the ones I installed and worked with years ago. Anyone remember here?
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I can't for the life of me remember what these were called (see pix). This particular 4 line release is different than the ones I installed and worked with years ago. Anyone remember here?

Chainlink 4 line release although I don't like that one

PIA techncal commitee might have some kind of reference book with part numbers. It looks familiar but by memory is as short as my...

Well, it's pretty short.

In my opinion, the best 4 line release was the one Manly Butler made/invented when he was still in the Navy at Jacksonville NAS and jumping at Palatke. The lanyards you pulled to release the 2 lines on each side became the steering lines attached to the next line.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Originally the four lines were only color coded and pilots (after bailout or ejection) were taught to actually cut the four lines with a knife. But once under an open canopy the majority of pilots thought, "I ain't cutting nothing!"

The mechanical "four line release" was in answer to that issue.

NickD :)

Water's four line release. Only legal if real deal with part number. Many made their own and many badly.

But they are rigged VERY wrong. I've got the instructions somewhere downstairs and I think I even have a new set laying around.

The ones on the C-9's that come through that came from the military are similar but NOT the same. They are rigged differently. Both may be in Poynter's but I'm upstairs and they are downstairs. Too lazy tonight to go look.

Let me know if you want me to try to find you rigging instructions.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

"

In my opinion, the best 4 line release was the one Manly Butler made/invented when he was still in the Navy at Jacksonville NAS and jumping at Palatke. The lanyards you pulled to release the 2 lines on each side became the steering lines attached to the next line.

"

Funny!
But I always thought that Manley Butler built 4-line release kits under license from Waters.
Butler's kits were pretty much the same as - later production - MIL SPEC C-9s.

Butler. Part number and all. I have a pair in my loft.

4 line release is still an option on brand NEW pilot emergency parachutes. New c-9 canopies. This is a parachute for the warbird pilots market. I saw one at a mfg booth at Osh Kosh this year.

Hi Cap,
Rigger rob and councilman are on it! That's the Waters 4-line release and Waters turned it over or what ever to Butler to produce. Great piece of equipment "When it's Rigged Right!!" the ones in the photos are really bad news! Got a couple of pairs in my archives "And" the instructions!! All it takes is being able to "Read, Write,Speak and 'Understand'" the English Language as specified in FAA Part 65 I believe. Had em' set up on my old 26' NAVCON's. Worked great, last time I used one was 09SEP1979 at Scare-us-valley.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

As far as the cutting goes It was the military's answer to the problem. If you cut 4 lines at the bottom it became 8 to replace as it was a continous lto the upper lateral band then down the other side to the front riser. It was the same reason they went to capewells. The main lift web became the riser then a solid link . Then the line was sewn to the link the the skirt ,up and over down the othersid repeat. Bad container scrap it all , bad canpoy scrap it all. That 4 line release system came out after metal release with a pin froze in Canada eventually causing a death. Seems to me it was some initials ?&? in red aluminum housing.

Hi lek,
Think it was "L&R" relesases. Got a set from someone years ago and traded them for a ripcord or something. 'Should be in Poynters Manual. 'Remember Scott Smith some eons ago under a reserve with a set of those that he couldn't get to activate!! 'Seemed when he started pulling the pin the two lines put tension and a side load on the pin and it jammed. 'Required "TWO HANDS" to work, hold slack on the two lines with one hand and pull the release with the other!!!! That's where the lanyard types shine, just grab the lanyard end and pull!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi Terry,
Yup, photo 1 & 2 are the Waters release and #3 is the Air Force release. Rigged bunches of em' on ACES II Ejection seat systems back in my old Douglas Aircraft Daze. Talking about 4-line releases there's still the "Elsinore 4-line release" to mention. It's similar to the Waters but has an additional wrap of the lanyard. Also, the canopy data pannel had to be stamped with an "Approval stamp."
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out