lodestar

Old vs New

Friday the 14th of Jan, Mike Patterson, Ron Schott, Mike Branch and Bill (Tuna) Case met at a Cuban restaurant in Z-hills and had a good time reminiscing about our past history there.
After lunch we all went out to the DZ currently there and I was particularly amazed at the operation now going on there.
Any of you old guys would know the old bunker where aircraft armament was sighted in but it's now devoid of all that mound of dirt around it and turned into a shop of some kind along with many new buildings and facilities for jumpers.
There were lots of people camped there and many were doing skydives. The gear was of particular interest to me and I was amazed at the technology now in use, entire rigs the size of one of the old belly warts, sleek functional and SMALL would cover it wit a side order of cost $$$(Phew!).
Other aspects of change since back when, the amazing twin otters, three teams, straight jump run, all out in sequence.....and the otter is down before the last guy hits the field...amazing....
Forward speed, drive....Jesus H Christ, if we'd a had that gear back then....man o man... spotting is no longer needed....
Best of all, Jerry Bird's Bar....we all got caught by the old 8x10's of the original teams, Mike and Ron were clearly evident along with many of the people we knew and loved back then, a fitting tribute to the "stone age" of jumping and beginnings of relative work....awesome to see and remember.
It felt great to be back in and around the sport and personally I was truly amazed at how much equipment has changed for the better, and skydivers from Europe....France, Germany, Russia, we talked with a guy from Finland who explained the gear to us, truly wonderful that the sport has developed to the extent it has, I know we were all amazed at the day.
Hopefully we can make it an annual affair and would hope any one from those days would join us next year.
Tuna...

I took about a ten year lay off once. I then went to Ted Mayfield's place in Sheridan to make a jump. No log books, no nothing. I told Ted that I had jumped there years earlier, and that I knew Elevator and even B.J. Worth, so Ted let me jump....

I rented a paracommander in a B-12 container. Somebody gave me a belly wart with one of those big "ole" altimeters out of an airplane.

I asked where I should wait, and the lady said, over there where those guys are dirt diving. I thought for a moment, and then asked, "What the hell is dirt diving?"

Everybody gave me a mad look about then. After all nobody used those words back in the 70's.
This lady had patience with me, and finally I wandered over there with all my rented equipment on.

I watched these guys dirt dive. They were grabbing each other here and there, then spinning circles and trying even more grips.

I thought, "Who do they think they are kidding....Even Jerry Bird couldn't turn that many moves in a skydive."

In the 70's we were sometimes just lucky to get a four way together. Exits were often spread out all over the sky.

I guess that shows how much the sport had progressed in just ten years. That was back in 85 or so.

And yes, I did get ribbed about the big ole altimeter and dash board (as I was sitting in the Beech). I tried to explain that even in the 70's, I never had a piece of junk like that....But it did work fine.

Showing up, to get on a load, with outdated equipment, is a great way to get attention![:/]

I watched these guys dirt dive. They were grabbing each other here and there, then spinning circles and trying even more grips.

I thought, "Who do they think they are kidding....Even Jerry Bird couldn't turn that many moves in a skydive."

That post is worth some smilies! :)

Showing up, to get on a load, with outdated equipment, is a great way to get attention!

:D:D:D~how true!

About 15 years ago we were in the process of moving from Ca. to Tx., I made several trips driving the cars here and on the last one I stopped at a central Tx. DZ to make a dive with an old buddy.

I'd stuffed the Vette with so much junk there was barely enough room for me so I'm getting all kinda weird looks as I unpack it looking for some gear. I had to get my 'equipment checked' by the salty ole rigger prior to manifesting...As I pull a worn out rig from a worn out gear bag and my worn out frap hat hits the floor the rigger d00d looks at me rather strangely and asked...where did you get that stuff?

Bought it all new I told him...awww fuck it, seen all I nee to see, just go he said!
:ph34r:B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Jim,

awww fuck it, seen all I nee to see, just go he said!

Reminds me of a trip to Southern California a buddy & I did back in '78. We stopped at Elsinore to make a few jumps; I had not been there since '67.

I asked the guy taking the waiver, money, etc about any particulars rules. He looks a the waiver I just handed him and said, "Anyone with that low of a D knows what to do." :P

JerryBaumchen

Back in the day there was a bit of anti USPA attitude, big brother etc. Would have had a lower # but only got my C + D, I forget, I think one was needed to be a JM and the other for Demos I think, long time ago. Glad now, shows I'm a veteran.

Back in the day there was a bit of anti USPA attitude, big brother etc. Would have had a lower # but only got my C + D, I forget, I think one was needed to be a JM and the other for Demos I think, long time ago. Glad now, shows I'm a veteran.

I thought the same way around that time. I finally had to quick get my D for the world record 72 way in Deland. I figure I didn't log around 700 jumps either. Five years of Cessna 182 "throw three out and follow them" on the weekend I only logged the most memorable jumps.

jon

It was a different world back then....

It was common to have an anti-establishment attitude during the 70's. Many jumpers quit logging jumps. Authority was sometimes looked upon, with suspect. Maybe Vietnam had something to do with all that.

I had like the shortest hair in our club. I was the only redneck there. We were all jumpers and that was really all that mattered.

The USPA didn't mean much to lot's of jumpers. I quit logging jumps for a while too. I always regretted that.

I never had a license back then either. I figured I didn't need one.

I remember one load when we had been drinking pitchers all afternoon. Then we headed out to the airport to jump. It was fun to be young and bulletproof. I'm lucky to still be here telling stories.....[:/]

Hello Steve,

Yes, it was a different world back then. I’m not sure it was so much of an anti-establishment attitude in the sport as much as I think it was different because it looked to a lot of us that the PCA and then the USPA were only interested in the advancement of Style and Accuracy. At least that is how it looked to me and I am sure to some others at the time.

Back then you could go to any DZ and notice that a good percentage of jumpers had both an altimeter and a stopwatch on their reserve to keep track of their series starting points and times. As I remember it you had to be able to do a series in a prescribed time to get your C and or D license. And also, that was just the thing to do if you wanted to compete.

Those of us in the upstart RW crowd were looked at about the same way skiers first looked at snow boarders when they first got started. We had a few meetings at Taft with the USPA to show that we were here to stay and RW was on the edge of taking off big time. A short time later the first 8-way and 10-ways were made and Norm Heaton came out to watch the first 10-way competition. The first 10-way meet was at Taft in 1967 and the sponsor was the Hermosa Beach Rumble Seat Bar. The USPA did not sanction the meet, but Norm Heaton did attend and watch with interest. After that, Norm and the USPA did help with the advancement of RW through helping set up large scale RW demonstration jumps around the country and then over seas.

Well, that is my 2 cents on how I saw things back then and how I remember them now, but I think you will get a better idea of those times if you take a look at Bill Newell’s SCR site at:

http://www.starcrestawards.com/

There is a lot of good RW history on Bill’s site.

Thanks Dennis for the history on this. Does anyone do style these days? It was a big event back in the 70's.....I took a long lay off. When I came back it was all but gone....

I was watching the style event with some interest when the nationals were here in Texas, New smaller gear, tighter-faster suits...SAME old guys doin' it! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thanks Dennis for the history on this. Does anyone do style these days? It was a big event back in the 70's.....I took a long lay off. When I came back it was all but gone....

I was watching the style event with some interest when the nationals were here in Texas, New smaller gear, tighter-faster suits...SAME old guys doin' it! B|

Hell of a thing to call Cheryl...>:(B|

Aaah Airtwardo, you hit the nail on the head there....lol....it's the "Dead Ant Relative Work Team!" for sure.....now we need the "Cardinal Puff Relative Work Team" for a competition.
Instead of doing Cardinal Puff on a table, you do it on the floor, on your back while wiggling your legs and arms like an expired pismire would do.
I like the concept....we could modify it to be a "Dead Cardinal Puff" relative work team.

Hell of a thing to call Cheryl...>:(B|

Hey Gypsy!!
They let you back in?? Thought you were "Banned!!" Anyway, bout "Style and Accuracy" I remember someone out at Scare-us-Valley one day ask Gary "Brown and Yelow striped jumpsuit"Cobb if he did "Style and Accuracy." He said,"Yeah, Style is lookin good on yer way out to the Otter and accuracy is makin sure ya' get on the right Otter!!" There ya' have it!! "Never mind the S&A, Got Stars??" Back when Comp. was "Only" S&A those of us who didn't partake were called "Fun Jumpers."
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out