ZigZagMarquis

What kind of airplane

The late Mark Schmidt, D-21, flew for Zantop. probably these. He was one of the first to fly jumpers in an Otter, at Pepperell, MA in 1971.

HW

Mark didn't fly the Argosy. My wife used to fly with him in the Lockheed Electra L-188. He was at our wedding in 1996 and we were at his memorial service near Willow Run Airport in 1997.

I think Howard has a photo of jumpers exiting an Whitwoth Argosy.

I am a propliner nut. Decades ago I flew to Lancaster to see what derelicts were there. The C 97 was in good shape when I saw it. The engines had "inhibited" service tags on them. Maybe there was some thought of running them again. An old timer at the field said the CA ANG had ferried Angela Davis in that plane to a court appearance She was a black radical accused of participating in a muderous courtroom takeover and prisoner escape.

Back then (late 70s?) there was a very rare acct there: Howard Hughes'
Douglas A20 Havoc that was converted into a high speed exec plane. A Convair TF 102 was also on site, side by side 2 place trainer version of the F 102 delta wing fighter.

Speaking of C 97s, famed aviator Clay Lacy is spending big bucks converting an ex fire tanker C 97 into a faux Boeing 377 Stratocruiser. He will have a tough time keeping 4 4360 28 cylinder radials serviceable. I had a friend who was an FE on USAF C 97Gs. He said they ate engines with alarming regularity.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.