GreenLight

Baton Pass Relived

Don Vredenburg gave us an old baton that he had made. We decided to go back in time and try to do a 4 man baton pass and not drop the dang thing. This baton has not seen action since the 60s according to Don.

The pilot and DZ was nice enough to give us our own pass east of the main operation so it would be safer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa_5ipD4VNQ
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

Back in the day (and getting further back every day!) we would use a rolled-up wind drift indicator as the baton just in case someone did drop it. Intentional drop-tests showed it would just flutter down slowly enough not to damage anything or anyone.

I remember using WDIs when I was training. In this case Don gave us a metal tube that I have a funny feeling may have been part of a peg leg at one time. Not sure about that though. This thing was hollow and really didn't weigh much but from that high up I think it could get going fast enough to do some real damage to a person or a thing. That's why we went out over a huge empty field away from everything else.
Green Light

Hi Green,

I remember many a Saturday night 'discussing' batons over a few beers. The discussion seemed to be how it/they would effect your flying. Would a round one be good? What effect would a flat packing paddle have; would it cause you to back-slide? Etc, etc.

I first joined PCA in June '64. Not too long after that I received the 1963 Fatality Summary. In it was the write-up about two guys who went up for a baton pass. The guy with the baton made an attempt to close on the guy who was supposed to receive the baton. Well, the guy with baton came in very fast, hit the catcher & sliced through his jugular vein with the baton. The catcher never opened due to the trauma. [:/]

JerryBaumchen

Was the cause of death listed as a cutaway? ;)

That's pretty sick Twardo. I love it! B|

BTW, have you noticed how similar your avatar is to Slyde's? You guys related? :S

Yeah, we're twins...separated at 'Mirth'! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Dang Jerry, ya know I thought about that a lot before the jump. We all thought about it as you can see by the opening remarks from John... Bully was trying to knock me out with the thing all the way to altitude...
Green Light

Was the cause of death listed as a cutaway? ;)

That kind of comment is the reason I hang around here. It reminds me of all the sick minds I jumped with over the years. Thanks for that.

I remember trying a baton pass a few dozen times. We almost never saw each other in freefall let alone passing a piece of broom handle to another person. I thought it was a pretty big deal when we finally did it.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

I remember trying a baton pass a few dozen times. We almost never saw each other in freefall let alone passing a piece of broom handle to another person. I thought it was a pretty big deal when we finally did it.

Hi G

That because it was a big deal when you did it, "Back in the day".

Job well done:)
One Jump Wonder

Thanks Rob and all of you. It was really a fun jump and we are going to do it again but with more people. We are also going to put together a 20 way BFR at Perris soon. That should be fun...
Green Light