keithbar

flight of the phoenix

yeah i knew that was it's real title. but didn't they call it that? something about it killing some really high # of pilots in training. I was at the hospital one time working and had a gentlemen for a patient said he was a former b-26 pilot in ww2 and i said "hmmm... b-26 they called that the maurader ? right?" he was really impressed that i knew that. he said he had lost an engine one time was coming home and the other one started to sputter. it quit and he tried to restart it. he had give up and slid the canopy back and was crawling out with one leg over the side of the cockpit when it refired and he got back in and got it home. good story and i have no reason to disbelive it.
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

yeah i knew that was it's real title. but didn't they call it that? something about it killing some really high # of pilots in training. I was at the hospital one time working and had a gentlemen for a patient said he was a former b-26 pilot in ww2 and i said "hmmm... b-26 they called that the maurader ? right?" he was really impressed that i knew that. he said he had lost an engine one time was coming home and the other one started to sputter. it quit and he tried to restart it. he had give up and slid the canopy back and was crawling out with one leg over the side of the cockpit when it refired and he got back in and got it home. good story and i have no reason to disbelive it.

I remember stories from my father that the B-26 training outfit at what later became MacDill AFB gave rise to the saying "one a day in Tampa Bay".

I remember stories from my father that the B-26 training outfit at what later became MacDill AFB gave rise to the saying "one a day in Tampa Bay".

The story:http://www.323bg454bs.org/Assets/PdfFiles/Thunderbolt%20080303.pdf

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I believe the C-119 is also called the "Widow maker"

wasn't the b-26 the " widow maker" but i guess their have been numerous models with that nickname over the years.

Don't forget the F-104 when it was flown by the West German Air Force. They also called it the Widow Maker. I believe they were using it in a ground attack role and lost a lot of pilots. It was designed as an interceptor.

The B-26 was the "Marauder". And then the "Invader"

A common error due to renaming after WW II. The Marauder and the Invader are two completely different aircraft. The Douglas A-26 Invader (B-26 between 1948–1965) was a United States twin-engined light attack bomber built by the Douglas Aircraft Co. The Martin B-26 Marauder was a World War II twin-engine medium bomber built by the Glenn L. Martin Company.

...and after the B-26 Marauder was phased out, the A-26 Invader was re-designated as B-26. During the early stages of the Vietnam war, for PC reasons, it was re-designated again back to A-26.
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling