SEREJumper

Interesting Double MA-1 Pilot chute hesitation footage

I used two pilot chutes on my Para Commander for a short while in the summer of 1971 in Xenia Ohio. Didn't take long to realize my opening time got slower and feeling both hitting the back of my helmet repeatedly was disconcerting.

The experienced jumpers told me what would happen, but I had to do it my way.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

I used a setup like that on my Baby Para-Plane, back in the 70s. I was told that with the "Pilot Chute Controlled Reefing", 2 MA-1s were required for the opening to be survivable. I was told that, "One will allow too fast of an opening, and three will not let it open at all". I didn't like either of those prospects, so I stayed with 2.;)

Kevin K.

I too was jumping two MA-1's with my Para-plane in the early 70's. I soon got tired of reaching behind my back to free the hesitation on almost every jump. So I decided to make my last ditch effort the first thing I did to deploy my main. I simply took the springs out of my MA-1's, closed the container with a bight of bridle in an elastic loop, stuck the pilot chutes in my blue jeans pocket, and the hand deploy pilot chute was born. Once again, necessity was the mother of invention.

As a jump pilot, I've seen a bunch of those kinda malfo's....that kind of thing will definitely make your heart skip a beat or two...."thousand one, thousand two, thousand three, where the hell is opening shock, thousand four, thousan....aaaahhhhh..
Not to mention those low pullers who yank at 600 feet....now THATS pucker factor......
Tuna....

I jumped with dual MA-1's for years and never had a problem. I started using them because I would get hesitations with just one.

I would stack them on top of each other, not side by side.
Dunno if that made them work better.

Plus I liked humming it down and I always got quicker openings

Bill