kimemerson

Have a look...

This past Sunday I scattered the ashes of an old timer who died of cancer in March. He had left me some of his skydiving memorabilia from as early as 1957. Here's a taste. Forgive me if any of these have been posted already. They may be familiar to some like HW and others. More to come...

Neat stuff!

What was the "old timer's" name?

And Lew Sanborn had only 250 jumps at the time!

I think it was possibly Tom Craighead. Didn't he pass away earlier this year from cancer?

Oh and the "Blood on the risers"... Daaaaamn :S:D

I wonder what the farmer was thinking when he looked back to see what was going on "what the f-" (BOOM!!!) ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Oh, and I also know who was jumping that funny canopy. He's still around to tell the tale.
Sky Diver, covering the same event, has a funny story about all the hot-stuff skydivers from the west, told there was a new canopy being jumped at sunset.
They laughed at the "triple Mae West" which was surely going to be chopped...but wasn't. Most of the other canopies exceot the XBO were backing up, but the "malfunction" actually "...FLEW to the bowl."

HW

My first Naionals. Only civilian to qualify from the SE Conference. The GK's took all of the other slots as is evident That Ray was overall Champ.
Got a lot of "first" at Orange. Jumped into The Inn, saw my first"moon" and alot of other things I can't remember. Did manage to place 8th overall.

Here are some more. Again, I apologize if any have already been posted.

For those who were there and remember, seeing some of these images must be a tad nostalgic. Guessing must be like shooting fish in a barrel. But for those of us who came later, raised on three rings, ram-air main & reserve, hand deploy, 13,500', who wouldn't know a T-10 from a P.C. or a Crossbow or a Thunderbow, who might not know what the inside of a Cessna looks like, those who have only seen pilots spot & packers pack & all the rest, not seeing these images or listening to the tales of the days would be a shame.

Hi kim,

OK, here goes:

?1) The Fairchild 71; probably over Oceanside since that looks like the edge of the west coast down there.

?2) Lowell Bachmann & friends somewhere over Wisconson.

?3) Charette, Popenhager & Binnicker at the Stone Mountain meet in Georgia.

?4) Well, every parade has to have a little rain on it.

?5) Don’t know where but I would guess late ‘60’s because of the split saddles on those rigs.

?6) Armstrong & Cameron judged the ’65 Nationals that were held at Orange DZ in Mass. Jumping into the Inn was a tradition; if you made it. So much for westies handling east winds. It was an article in SKYDIVER magazine.

?7) Well, the caption says over Arvin.

?8) Passing the wienie somewhere????????

?9) Deke Sonnichsen (Pres of PCA) just before a test jump on a prototype CrossBow rig.

So how did I do?

JerryBaumchen

You did pretty damn good.
#1 yes.
#2 is over Livermore, Ca. and they are (L-R):Susan Clements, Ludlow Clements and Bill Nelson. Dave Barnhard shot it.
#3 yes
#4 well, I suppose so...
#5 is "...Ed Marler preparing to glide through a hula-hoop held by Jerrt Bradley 15,000 feet over Limeric, N.J." From Parachutist March 1965
#6 yes
#7 I thought I had cropped that little clue.
#8 Ah, the keen powers of observation at work again. This is from the August '64 Parachutist and it is a Jerry Irwin photo of "Joe Nichols of the South Jersey Skydivers passing the baton to Shep Witherow of the Delaware Valley Skydivers over Burlington, N.J."
#9 Another dead center. This one accompanied his "A message From the President" on the inside front cover of Parachutist.

Hi kim,

Re: (L-R):Susan Clements, Ludlow Clements and Bill Nelson.

I met all three of them at a meet in Ashland, OR in Oct '64.

Did you know that Suzie was originally from here ( Portland, OR ) and that she was born Susan Jones? B|

JerryBaumchen

PS) For extra credit: Bill Nelson was a fire-fighter.

consider it done.

Here's the caption that accompanied the sequence of shots. "This horrifying picture is called hide the apex. Can you find it? This is a 26-foot conical without a pilot chute. Unpacking at 120 mph., this 'mess' fluttered this way for a good three seconds, before deciding to inflate and snap Ken (no longer smiling) Rounds out of the sights of Ralph White's Nikon. Normally a complete system (canopy with pilot chute) takes only .9 to 1.6 seconds to open."