howardwhite

What are these canopies?

It is an FS-1 with a 30' extended skirt main, usually packed in a T7 type container. Canopy was used by the US Forest Service, circa 1942.

Sure, but what are the serial numbers?

:D

Ok, seriously, how did you know that? Previous experience as a smoke jumper or just bumping into the design previously?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I haven't been able to find a picture of an FS-1, but I have found a reference saying it was first put into service in 1943. Poynter says the first 60 were manufactured in 1942.
One of the attached pictures is from a 1939 Forest Service report.
The source of my orginal picture identifies it as "1940s Smokejumpers on the job," and the accompanying story identifies it as something other than an FS-1. That something is also the identification given to the canopy in the second attachment.

HW

OK, well then.. was the canopy considered to have forward motion and to be steerable? And if so, how was it steered?;)

HW

They've both got the dreaded four-line release on them.

I had a reserve with a four-line chop on it for a while. It takes a bit of nerve to release them and watch the rear of the canopy blow out like that. You steer by pulling down on the left and right rear risers after you release the lines. The released lines are only connected to deal with opening forces. Once the lines are released, the air will spill out of the back of the canopy, providing soem forward motion and directional control.

The operative word is some. They could also provided a nice oscillation to make landings more interesting.