pwln

Oldest Dropzone in US?

A couple of questions here.
1. What dropzone was the first civilian dropzone in the US?
2. What dropzone is the oldest continually operating dropzone in the US?

I hear so many different answers and see so many claims on dz webs sites, so does anyone really know?

The Orange Sport Parachuting Center opened May 2, 1959, and was the first commercial dropzone in the U.S.
It cannot claim to be the oldest continuing DZ, as it shut down in 1984. Operations resumed in 1996 as Jumptown.
The Mass. Sport Parachute Club, which now operates Jumptown, is an offspring of the club which started at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, in about 1959.

HW
(writing from the scene)

I know that Above the Poconos Skydivers (Hazleton, PA) claims to be "the oldest, continuously running, same Management USPA Member Skydiving Center in the World!" (Since 1961)

and Skydive Greene County (Xenia, OH) has also been open and operating under the same owner since 1961 but they are not a USPA member DZ.

I figured Orange, MA was the "First" commercial dz. What others are there that have been around and have not closed or changed owners?

Damn Jim,

Now you're taking me back. I remember one evening BS'ing with Shorty down in his basement where he had a packing table and all of his rigging gear.

Good days,

JerryBaumchen

I was on a scuba trip once with him...he had a really neat thermal conditions 'first-aid' kit, one side said hot the other cold...1st side held Schnapps the other Scotch. ;)

Good days! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Anyone know if Elsinore ever closed & re-opened?

Well, I remember a trip to Elsinore when the lake had flooded the DZ area and jumping moved to a small airport several miles south. Does that constitute "closing"?

HW

Yeah, that's what *I* was wondering... :)
Signatures are the new black.

http://www.skydivelspc.com/

Them ole Nebraska boys been doing it awhile too! B|

Last year we celebrated 50 years of fun in Missoula, MT. The Montana State University Parachute Club was formed in 1957 and renamed the "Silvertip Skydivers" in 1961 in deference to the MSU Siltertip Grizzlies. They have, however, had to move locations periodically throughout the years.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

They have, however, had to move locations periodically throughout the years.

If we include dropzones that have had the same DZO but have changed locations over the years then Ralph Hatley should be mentioned. 44 years total and 32 years at Beaver Oaks.

Skydive Eagle Creek at Beaver Oaks Airport is still open. Not to mention that Ralph is still one of the largest parachute equipment dealers in the world.

B|B|B|
Onward and Upward!

Skydive Greene County, Xenia, Ohio, name change to reflect the times from "Greene County Sport Parachute Center" to Skydive Greene County.

Opened in 1961, same owner in 2008 as was 1961, same location.

Owner still skydiving and still flying :) at the same original location in Xenia Ohio :) :)

Skies blue
Jim and Lee West