lodestar

One for Howard White

I don't, offhand, recognize the people, but the location is (I didn't even need to look at the names of the pictures) .. Z-Hills. I jumped out of that 196 both in that paint job and in its later rainbow configuration. Mid 70s.
You can see the 196 and other Z-Hills planes of the time in a little movie clip here.

HW

I'm pretty sure I can identify two of them besides you Tuna!

I used to prop Jeff Searle's 182 when the battery was weak. I never did it to the 196 but I recall a time when Hoop did. I don't recall if you were flying or Neil Perks. Anyhow, if my memory serves me right, the prop caught earlier than Hoop expected and took his watch right off his wrist! I never propped a plane again after that.

You were flying the 196 one day during a style competition and while climbing to altitude I asked you which direction the winds aloft were running. You stuck your finger in your mouth to wet it, stuck it outside the door and said "we're flying directly into the wind"...... Wiseass! :S

DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Truthfully the only ones I remember are Larry Gosler and Mike Patterson(rumpson) but yep, zhills and the 196...one helluva aircraft....spotting was super easy with the plexi holes in front of the pilot's seat, they were even graduated. As I understood the aircraft was purchased from an aerial photograph outfit and used up in the northeast area. It had a huge camera mounted behind the seats, the port for which was covered over when we used it....there were also two tip tanks and a 40 gallon aux tank behind the firewall in back...that made it capable of over 1,000 mile range.
Howard, I must have known you but don't remember you now....can you send a picture of yourself to remember you by?
I came to the hills in 69 after flying for searles in wisconsin at the franklin dz.....he had purchased the hills and was looking for staff...I got my riggers license there and ran the loft for him packing student rigs and doing repairs in addition to flying loads....there were a few summers I ran the place by myself since jeff went up north and it was really slow in florida in the hot humid summers.
For a long time we used a large building across from bob porters repair hangar with bunkrooms in either end and office and lounge in the middle. Paul Healy had an ongoing chess game on the lounge table and whenever whomever he was playing walked by, they would make a move, then when he walked by he would make one....he was a helluva chess player as I recall.
Not sure when the packing area and office moved over by the peas, maybe someone can remember that, it was much more convenient that way.
Does anyone remember one night when about 30 of us were out at the peas, smoking non domestic material and we all saw the ufo's? That was a mind blower....
Hmmmm....lots of memories...and good ones at that....
Tuna

In the picture with everyone standing and one kneeling.

The one kneeling, I don't know, behind him is Dave DeWolfe as Pat already mentioned, in the middle with the red suit and white knee pads is Larry Gossler, behind Larry is of course Bill Case, in the Orange suit is Mike Patterson, the one on the right could be a very young Step Lively.
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

Hi Steve!

Yep, I picked out Larry Gossler and Mike Patterson. I was guessing the young one was Bobby Gilbert but I can't be sure.

I have a photo album at home of shots taken in the sixties and early seventies. Since this forum won't let us post photos within the posts themselves (does anyone know why????) I'll create a Picasa album and post a link. It may take me a while to get to it because I'll need to scan photos that are glued into an album - might be tricky. It might actually be easier to take pictures of the pictures.

In any event I'm sure you'll recognize some folks in there.
DZGone.com
B-4600, C-3615, D-1814, Gold Wings #326, Diamond Wings #152.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

Oh yeah...
I remember now, you had the anorexic buck toothed skinny girlfriend with two first names...kinda like angle-jolly or something.......I think I have a picture of you both hugging a toilet at Maude's place one saturday evening when every one was playing "expired pismire"......
Tuna

Here are two pictures of "Handsome Dave DeWolf" I took in January 2008.

As you can see from the grainy photo he has not changed much.

It warms my heart to see pictures from the old days and know that some of those folks are still active. Dave should be back in the air soon.

More later,
Onward and Upward!