piper17

Old Round Engine A/C

Man, I can't believe you actually used to jump from that old Lockheed!! That is a fairly high wing loading/ high performance airplane for what we do with them-was it a relatively high speed jump run?
Bill
PS My dad flew a corporate Lockheed PV-1 (Howard 350) back in the late 60's and it was a screamer- trued out at about 290 knots cruise speed if I remember correctly.

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

These shots seem to date from April 1980 and were taken at Z-Hills. A lot of good memories although somewhat faded with time.

Jim - JS may well be correct about dust and rust clogging the synapses, but I think those shots would have been taken the year before, when I'd already given both 40T and 95N new paint jobs.

And as far as your Fun Between Loads, that looks alarmingly like Sara Hild on Sheila Whitten's shoulders. Anyone know what became of her?
Hoop
SCS90

Jim,

After almost thirty years, I'm not positive about much of anything except that I'm getting old!
I do have another similar shot and I'll take a closer look with my reading/computer glasses on!
"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition"...Rudyard Kipling

This may be in the wrong thread, but since this is where the discussion of "Who's on top?" is happening, it's where I'll post this. When I first saw the picture, I thought it was Connie sitting on Sheila's shoulders too. But as I'm thinking about it, it seems to me that Connie started living in Deland around the time that Beanpole (Mike) started getting heavily into windsurfing and wasn't jumping as much. It seems pretty unlikely that she would have been in this shot.

Some more findings in the Nostalgia bin...

HW

Is that 66 Whiskey, the Bird machine in that photo ?

All the great DC3's I jumped at the Hills. 66W, Lucaya Air, Our Douglas (One Hour Douglas), Southern Cross, Mr.D. I miss 'em. I was down at Perris this year when they fired up the 3 there for "specialty" jumps at $60 a pop. I still get a woody when I hear one cough into life. Since Bill Dause turned his into a bar complete with stripper pole and parked it up, I don't get to jump one on a regular weekly basis any more....

Some more findings in the Nostalgia bin...

HW

Is that 66 Whiskey, the Bird machine in that photo ?

All the great DC3's I jumped at the Hills. 66W, Lucaya Air, Our Douglas (One Hour Douglas), Southern Cross, Mr.D. I miss 'em. I was down at Perris this year when they fired up the 3 there for "specialty" jumps at $60 a pop. I still get a woody when I hear one cough into life. Since Bill Dause turned his into a bar complete with stripper pole and parked it up, I don't get to jump one on a regular weekly basis any more....

-------------------------------------------------------

Lets not forget Agent Orange . :)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Don't forget Sugar Alpha -or- Slow to Altitude

I never bitched about Sugar Alpha being slow on the climb...I usually needed the nap time.
Looking back on it, I realize it gave me more time to hang out with some awesome people, some who are no longer with us.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Talking about Bird Machines that is one fine bus Jay. I see an old school bus in an avatar and automatically assume it's clapped out and got a Home Depot cobbed-together interior. Man! You got the rolling Taj Mahal there. That isn't your Dad's hippie van.

Sugar Alpha failed the left engine on take off out of Deland with a full compliment of jumpers on board. We never made it above 1000' and made a verrrrry wide left hand pattern onto the runway with final right over town. We were at max power on the remaining engine crawling in from a couple miles out at 500'. Scaredest I've ever been.

jon

I'd bet that photo was taken at the Cal City Airport, but I couldn't even guess when.
Jan Aarvik owned it while it was hauling jumpers. I think he still has it, along with a turbine conversion 3 he operates.
The airplane was once owned by John Travolta before it descended into jumping. It wasn't the fastest climbing DC-3 I ever flew.
Zing Lurks

Yeah, I think it was the Bird Machine with TV. It was interesting to see what people wanted to look at on the climb.
Here are a couple more. In the first one, Bird seems to be wondering how much this is going to cost, or how much longer it's going to be.
Anybody able to ID the other folk?

(BTW, if anyone finds my posted pictures too dark, I adjust them for my eyeballs on my Mac. I have noted that on some PCs they seem to be significantly darker. If you see a picture you like but it's too dark,let me know and I'll fix it for the Windoze masses.:P)

HW

All the great DC3's I jumped at the Hills. 66W, Lucaya Air, Our Douglas (One Hour Douglas),....

This Our Douglas?
Dunno where the picture was taken; looks like a glider operation in the background.
Where did Our Douglas come from?

HW

Yep, good old one hour douglas. Jan Aarvik was the pilot. Slow to altitude, but fun all the same. I'm thinking back to a time when there was full cloud cover over the Hills, and the pilot yelled back "can you see the ground ?". We said no, and he said, "then hang on !" and did a 360 barrel roll so perfectly that no-one left the floor by as much as an inch. I'm not saying this was Jan or Our Douglas though ;), because that would have been highly illegal wouldn't it ?

I might be wrong, but I think that Our Douglas is the DC3 now at Eloy in their colors. A quick check of tail numbers might confirm that.