howardwhite

What is this canopy? #7

Ah ... the Rogallo parawing minus the OSI.

What's an "OSI"? A slider?

I notice two pilot chutes. And risers about 5 feet long!

An OSI is an Opening Shock Inhibitor.

I used to jump a Delta II that was so fucked up, it took 3 MA1's to drag it out and deploy.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

The OSI is the acronym for Opening Shock Inhibitor. Basically, it was, depending on who made it, a 4-6 inch wide piece of webbing a couple feet long that used Velco to close it around the lines.
As you packed, the OSI was wrapped around each line group as the canopy was stacked prior to putting it in a bag. The color-coded lines were to clue the jumper as to which lines went into each wrap of the OSI. OSIs predated sliders by a few years.
Zing Lurks

Obviously way too easy...
From an ad by "Irvin Para-Space Center" of Glendale, CA in the April, '67, Parachutist.
"IRVING'S(sic) PARAWING, the newest and most advanced canopy in our modern era, based on the most reliable and proven principles..... is now ready!!!
"L/D 2.5 - 1.0
"Toe-down at 10 F.P.S."
Yours, with sleeve, for $349.95.

Dunno about the Army team part. Two pilot chutes were fairly common, in my experience, in the MA-1 days before manufacturers started making bigger pilot chutes.

HW

Whatever it is, it is not a Rogallo Para Wing. Only took one glance to tell me that. The Rogallo had fewer, (hence larger) panels throughout, and looked "puffier" than the one pictured. Also, every picture of a Rogallo I've ever seen had a checkerboard pattern. OK, I realize that you can't go by colors, but...
I was around when they were being jumped, but can't remember actually seeing one in the air.

I am not at the loft where my Poynter 1 is located. There is probably a picture of it there. Apparantly the one in the picture has been correctly ID'd, so no need.

Whatever it is, it is not a Rogallo Para Wing.

Well, the name "Rogallo" (after its inventors) is rather generically applied to canopies (as well as kites and hang gliders) having this shape.
So it may not resemble what you remember, but I think it's fair to refer to it as a Rogallo wing (even though Irvin did not, at least in this ad.)

HW

Correct on that. Give the designer his due. The Irvin versionl apparantly never got anywhere. (not that parawings were very widely used either.)

I never understood why parawings needed the opening inhibitors in the first place. Obviously they did, otherwise the inhibitors wouldn't have been deemed necessary. But; why would a parawing open any harder than a round? It is one surface, and "kinda" the same as a round - cups air and has long lines. Obviously it must have had a dangerously hard opening shock, necessiating crative minds to invent something to slow it down. Not that I really care much, but I was always curious as to why they would open so hard, just because it was kinda triangular instead of round. I saw and handled, kinda in disbelief,

the old velcro wraps and decided to leave that one to the experimentors. Thankfully, the ram air parachutes came on the scene.

Both my Delta II and Dactyl can be real show stoppers. They may cup air and are single surfaces but I don't think they fill like a round. A round will fill up with air from top to bottom and require a fairly large volume of air. A parawing doesn't really have that ability. My guess, the air required is much less and therefore opens quicker. This is just my take on it.

Hi,

About '67 or so I was talking with Scotty Hamilton and he had just done a few jumps on the Irvin canopy, the one that they had TSO'd.

He said that he pulled immediately off the step and the thing hit him like a ton of bricks; the hardest opening he had ever experienced.

And that was with a sleeve,

JerryBaumchen

I think it opened hard (very fast) because it had such a short profile. It was only 3 & 1/2 feet ((I don't think 4') from skirt to the top when you were side packing it. It didn't have to travel through much air to inflate. The same difference as a 22 ft. Featherlite and a 22 ft. Tri-Conical.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

I'm glad you guys got this shit figured out by the time I started jumping,...................

Like the Nova canopyB|.

The more exprienced (older) we get we see hstory repeating itself. If it's not the gear, it's the folks flying the stuff.

Old fart joke: Who says skydivers are stupid we invented a whole new way to kill ourselves
Hook turns. B|

WAG: I think people trying to do hook turns (not swooping) was responsiable for more death's over the years than trying out the latest and greatest canopies.:|