howardwhite

"Amazing and Stupendous" new canopy

I NEVER got a standup on over 100 cheapo (surplus round) jumps. Maybe it was because my C9 canopy was third hand, porous, and cost $25. Thanks God for ram airs. The only thing I miss about the rounds is the beauty of the sun illuminating the single surface canopy like a stained glass window, and the peaceful quiet descent. Sure don't miss those bone crunching landings. The good old days were not really so good from the gear standpoint.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Hmmm, how much did you guys weigh when you were jumping cheapos? I weighed 135lbs and stood up my C9 every time. The only thing that changed when I got my Strato-Star was that I didn't have to use both feet for my standups anymore B|

Now I weigh 185lbs and think a C9 landing might not result in a stand up, or if I tried to stand it up, might not be standing up for a good while afterwards ;)

I had a pull down centerline in mine which seemed to help some with both drive (and I use the term loosely) and decent rate.

The one time I had to use my 26' Navy Conical reserve, I stood that up too.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I had a reserve ride on my Navy 26 ft conical too and did stand it up, landed on the peas too, both quite unusual for me back in the day.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

I even stood up my 24 ft. reserve, once, back in the day. I was about 140 lbs. back then. I sure couldn't do that now. (Now that I'm old and fat)

I did stand up a para-commander a couple years back at a boogie though. I figured I had to show all the young "Whipper Snappers" how it was done, even if I broke both legs doing it.

Some of us are even having trouble with that cat thing, now. Not me, of course.....Steve1

My first rig I took my Christmas bonus and bought a 3rd hand candy stripe W-Gore (hence the handle) and 24ft twill reserve for $65. Had one ride on that twill, no stand up. Did several rides on a 26' Navy and stood it up every time. That was a good reserve. The only thing that W-Gore did well was go down fast. Lots of big holes and plenty of porosity. Makes me flinch just thinking about those landings.
GUNFIRE, The sound of Freedom!