howardwhite

Olde pictures

>>Your right about Dick Pedley. He filmed the tandem of the local news caster Artimesa and died two weeks later downtown LA. He was a great guy.
Yes, I'll never forget that night . . .

But I prefer to remember a few night earlier. We were at Elsinore where Dick and I planned to meet downtown for a building jump later that night at 1:AM.

I went home at sunset after working on the DZ all day and decided to get a short nap. But I didn't wake up until three in the morning.

We didn't have cell phones back then so I thought what the hell and jumped into my car for the hour drive into LA. I got there at 4:AM and saw Dick's car parked in the street. Walking up I see he's sound asleep sitting up so I tapped on the glass, until he woke, and rolled down the window. I figured I was going to get a ration for being so late but all he did was yawn, and say, "You ready?"

NickD :)

Anyone remember if Jim Wallace was from milwaukee or chicago?
I knew a Jim Wallace but don't remember where from and can't recall what he looked like. If anyone has a picture I would appreciate it.
Thanks Tuna

From earlier in this same thread: Jim Wallace is the one picking his nose. :D

Here's his web page if you want to contact him: http://www.jimwallaceskydiving.com/

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

You might be thinking of Jack AKA "Wildman" Wallace from the milwaukee area. He was seriously injured in an industrial mishap in the late `70's - early `80's.

Actually I showed this exact picture to Jim Wallace here in CA and he identified himself to me in that picture.

btw, Jim Wallace just celebrated his 20,000th skydive this weekend! B| HIM! HIM! :D

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Thanks Goldwing,
You are likely correct on that one....time blurs the memory...I do know that I met him up in milwaukee and was trying to place the face of the "guy picking his nose" and it wasn't fitting correctly.
If, in fact, jack wallace is the same guy i'm thinking of, he was a constant daily user of lsd, at the time I knew him he was taking 10-15 hits a day! Yes, a day....small wonder he may have been injured at work.....i know he used to carry baggies of drugs around with him all the time....ah well thanks for getting me on the right track, if anyone has his email i'd appreciate the steer.
tuna

Yes, that's Karen Dodd, Tom Allen, and me. This was at Borderland (San Diego) in about 1979.

In "old demo" I'm not sure if it's "Barry Chase" but he's on a pretty well known CRW team in the '80s. The one, I think, that morphed into the "Ghost Riders" in the '90s.

Steve Vickers was a student of mine.

The last two photos might throw you as they are BASE related . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Well...as old as this post is, I s'pose I should search for my name more often in here, eh?
B|

Nope, that's not me in the picture, it's Bob Dunphy, and he was on a CReW team as mentioned above, although it was too long ago for me to remember the name, much less if it became Ghost Riders.

The Debbie I pointed out (last name forgotten) was Bob Dunphy's girlfriend.

Kim Yzleman was a jumper and worked manifest. Her dad, who operated the DZ's food trailer, had served in the marines during WWII in the Pacific Theater. He told stories which make the HBO series "Pacific" look meek and mild.

And sitting in the right hand corner is none other than infamous cameraman Tom Sanders, now living in Hawaii. He was running the video concession there when it was San Diego Air Sports, and not everyone wanted to jump a camera and the requisite VCR mounted on their chest.
;)

From the look of the people I recognize, I think this picture is from the mid 1980's.
Barry Chase-
My Concern for the Aircraft
Diminishes Radically
Upon My Exit