efs4ever

Of Interest to OLD OLD OLD Spaceland Jumpers

If Doc were still alive he'd still be jumping that today. It was out of date then :ph34r:, but, well, Doc was Doc, and he was a hardass in the best sense of the word.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Spaceland didn't start until about '73 or so. I made my first jump at Doc's place in League City in '71, jumpmastered by Jesse Hall.

When I first came to Texas in Sept. of 1969 I jumped with the Galveston Skydivers in Dickenson, Tx. Before Dickenson Doc A., Ed Fitch, and several other "old Timers" had operated parachute clubs around the Houston area. One dz was located in Cut-n-Shoot, Tx. Doc moved from Dickenson to Hitchcock in June of 1974. Dave Boatman and Jessie Hall opened a DZ at Spaceland Air Park, League City, Tx. with a Cessna and a D-18 twin beech. My first Twin Otter (300 Series) jump at Spaceland was logged on May 4, 1975. Often times after heavy rains when the Galveston Skydivers sod runway was under water Doc would move his operation to Spaceland for a weekend.
There were several other DZ's in the area during the 70's. Cleveland, Angleton, Weiser, and then those Cajun's in Beaumont.

I gotta question....

How come John Rich never ages?!?:S

Obviously, that's the question everybody has in mind ;)
M.

I think it's because he and Dick Clark have the same genetics.:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

old,old old jump pictures have round canopies and capewells and are not dated from 1992.

BCA

Absolutely, Spaceland started at the front of the airport, next to Dead Baby Curve, complete with machine gun range, round canopies and a twin beech buzz job after last load...

Hay thanks for thoes pics. Vernon M. looks very young in your pics. He lives about 2 blocks from me. I first met him when he was about to pull my wisdom teeth, and no I don't feel smarter.:)He had pics. of Thiland world record framed on his walls at his office.

Funny story about Vern....
My buddy brought me in to his office and was and old friend of his. He wrote me a scrip fpr pain killers and said get this filled know cause when you return tommorow to have the surgery you will be hi on the gas I'm going to give you and won't be able to get this scrip filled then, so do it now.
He then turned to my buddy (his old friend) and said here is two more scrips for you, leave his alone he gonna need what I wrote for him for recovery.

The next day, my buddy brings me back and waits for me cause I wont be able to drive after the sergury. I and he go into the room and Vern gives me the gas mask and then leaves. My buddy takes the mask and we start sharing the gas like scuba diver. Then Vern re enters the room and lets my buddy watch him pull the wisdom teeth. All I remember was Vern saying something like (check this out) and then in my per rifreal vision I could see my buddy looking over Vern's shoulder and saying yuck! I was so HI I didn't care.

Thank again EFSforever!

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Ok this was over Spaceland the year before Mike and Linda Smith started operating the DropZone for Boatman
Kenny Colman was running the place.
I worked around the DZ packing and me and Jimmy Heffernan would pick up the trash for jumps.
We were on our way to 12.5 the world record was 32 way round, we were going to try to break it with 35.
from right to left first row Mark Schlater,Jimmy Heffernan, row 2 Andy Smith,me,Kenny Colman,3rd row,David Botrell,standing Dave Boatman,and Robert Botrell.
After that I'm not good with the names, they were from Austin area and I don't want to miss name.
I know Captin Death was flying.
This could have been 1976

Brings back some very fond memories. We had some great times back in those days. There was a great rival between the Houston jumpers and the Beaumont crowd. But, it was all in fun for the advancement of skydiving. I will never forget some of the night jumps in Beaumont on New Years Eve.

Yes Suni was older than 15 But not much,she was two weeks short of 18, I was her first jump instructor and I was lurking that hard. That man with his back turned is her grandfather who is still alive and in his 90's he was sure proud of her that day. Here is a pic of us now, and us back then,as you can see Suni is still a babe and I have been lucky enough to become old,My daughter got ingaged to a skydiver this weekend, so life is pretty dang good right now.
this Otter picture is the 500th Otter made. Metro airlines turned it loose for only one weekend that first year, it was my first ride in a Super Otter. The guy in the T shirt is Ron Rice the pilot, next to him ,the blonde is his wife Susan, Bruce Bickford is to the right, jumping a light weight racer(container flaps made of ripstop)to the left is two guys from louisana,Dywane Bruette is the one on the left,I forgot the other guys name. Jessie Hall is hideing behind the rig you can see part of his head.

Thanks for the photos, Bill. It's a real blast from the past to see a lot of those folks again. We all learned a lot from Dave Boatman, the Bottrell Bros., and young Don Stewart and even Jesse Hall, who was my first jump instructor. I always thought that it was impossible to capture his image on a camera, but I guess I was wrong. ;)

I always loved jumping at Spaceland, but I was never a "regular". I went off to the USAF about the time everyone went over there from Doc's place. Every time I visited, I had a blast jumping with you guys. I did get my NSCR there, however, before moving to Florida and a life of crime, skydiving, and spaceflight.

Kevin K.
SCR 3022

I remember a 10 way speedstar/formation meet
And the cajuns+Beaumont had brought some women with them,they were a fun group.The first day we were holding our own,we were the home team and if we didn't screw up would be the winners.
After jumping, a party started and the girls from louisana were real party hounds.
I remember thinking this is great, it's 3am (first loads at 9) I've half a bottle of El Presidente in me and were all going for naked beacon rides.
All the Beaumont and Louisana jumpers went back to there hotel at 8pm what a bunch of light weights.
They missed a great conga line.
I don't remember what happened after that. don't remember much of anthing.
But i do remember thinking those guys are pretty slick or I'm pretty stoupid or both

This is what happened to Phils Starlite, after a malfunction that tore it up, I fixed it, and the idea was it was going to be Suni's, But we went to Saudi Arabia and turned it into a Parasail, in the back ground is the compound we lived in outside Taif.
we were waiting for the goats and sheep to pass before towing it with a Land Cruser. I left after 2 years but the toy stayed, scraping knees and terrafying sheep.

Gret to hear Kenny doing well. I'm sure whomever he's flying for is lucky to have him
Here's my last belly wart jump it's a 7-TU C-9
in a bag. It was going to be Suni's, this was the test jump and a S/L eval for someones jumpmaster rateing