superflie

Stiletto vs. other Elliptical Canopies

They do have a reputation for this. I believe part of it is deserved and partof it is not. The Stilletto was the first very succesful elliptical canopy here. When it first came out people did not know as much about packing an elliptical canopy and were not as critical of body position because they did not have to be on a square. A lot of people had spinning mals they had to cut away from. They don't seem to be nearly as bad today. I think this is due to an increased attention to baody position and packing techniques but the reputation still ramains. That being said I do think that some of the newer designs are a little less likely to have line twists due to improved technology, but with proper care to packing technique and body position the stilletto is not bad at all. This must be done with any elliptical canopy.
So to answer you question I would have to say a little more likely.
William

In my 50-60 jumps on my Stilletto I have had line twists once. They came out very easily and the canopy was fairly stable while I was getting out. Not sure why I got them....probably packing. It was my first free fall from altitude on the canopy and only my 5 or 6th jump on it. Since then I have learned the proper body position (VERY neutral) and also learned to fly the opening. Haven't had a problem since. :)"Here I come to save the BOOBIES!"

I recall PD publishing a document for the Vengence comparing it to the Stiletto and did point out how changes addressed in the design of the Vengence make it less prone to off heading opennings vs. Stiletto.
As the gent before pointed out, we have since learned that packing and body position on deployment (amongst other thingd) do make a difference in how stressful your opennings can be.

Spinning mals are a risk under any high performance canopy. Some are better then others... The Pisa heatwave is just as bad as the stiletto, if not worse. Atair's Cobalt is aparently very stable. The Stiletto is known for spinning mals, but I think this is only partly deserved. Pack carefully, and watch your body position you should be ok.
I've had toggles come off during deployement on my Stiletto at 1.5 and it did not spin up.
Any highly loaded eliptical will spin up if you're not careful.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

I have only put about 70-80 jumps on my Stiletto but I have only had line-twists twice and both times were my fault.
The first time I anticipated the canopy's intended direction too early while it was snivelling and it came up with two line twists before I got it back under control.
The second time was when I was tired of watching it snivel so I gave the rear risers a yank to start the second stage. I wasn't even with the input and it spun once.
Both times I was simply hanging there and the twists were easy to get out of.
Now that I have stopped doing those things, or have corrected how I do them, my Stiletto rarely goes more than 20-40 degrees off heading. I just make sure the flaking is somewhat symmetrical when I pack her and I make sure I am symmetrical when I throw out.
Kris

I've only put 250 ish jumps on mine, and the few line twists I got were, IMO, a result of not leaving enough tine between the last stow and the links (easily solved: pack better...), and/or one of the brakes coming undone on opening (problem solved: better toggle anchering).
I still get off-heading openings, but not twists.
Remster
Muff 914