mjosparky

Patches from back in the day.

I remember seeing some of those, "way back when". It's funny, in the early 70's jumpers were really into patches. Maybe I was in the boy scouts too long, but I remember wearing my SCR and SCS with pride back then. Anyone who wore a 16 way patch was considered a sky god in 1972.

Now almost nobody wears patches. I guess they aren't stylish anymore, unless it is a 300 way patch. I have seen some of those lately. ...Steve1

I had a 20 man (way) patch sewn to the pop-top pilot chute cover on my pop-top. When I went on vacation, I stopped at a small dropzone in Maryland. When the ASO checked my packing card, he asked for my riggers license since I had packed it. Afterwards, he turned the reserve over to hand it back and his (and others around us) eyes nearly popped out of his head. "You've been in a 20 man???" I've been in several I replied, my home dropzone is Z-Hills. All of a sudden, the local group wanted me to organize their first 8 man attempt (using 2 Cessna's).

I didn't know what to think, to me large formation jumps were normal, but I was getting a whole new appreciation for where I happened to start jumping.

I asked how they had the 8 way organized and they had done just what I would have anyways. Since they only had 7, I went as number 8 and earned my SCS (I didn't tell them I had never been in later than 7th before...).

I also had my SCR and SCS patches. Wish I had one of those Hinkley patches in the photo above. I jumped there with Roger and Carl Nelson, but never even saw one of those patches then (1975).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

10 years ago , the guy I thought of as a sky god, sported a very cool 8 way night stack CRW patch on his rig.

In 1980 or 1981 I docked 8 th. on the first night 10 stack. That was before night crew was recognized. There is a picture of it in the Bombshelter at Perris.

Spark
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

10 years ago , the guy I thought of as a sky god, sported a very cool 8 way night stack CRW patch on his rig.

In 1980 or 1981 I docked 8 th. on the first night 10 stack. That was before night crew was recognized. There is a picture of it in the Bombshelter at Perris.

Spark

The cameraman must have been using one hell-of-a flash to get a photo of a NIGHT 10-Stack...

:P

Just kidding... ;)

Spark

The cameraman must have been using one hell-of-a flash to get a photo of a NIGHT 10-Stack...

Just kidding... ;)

It was Norm Kent and you have seen the extension cord.:):P

Sparky

I saw you had one from Orange. This was from right up the road, the Trojan Sport Parachute Club out of Fort Devens, MA.

Eight of us once went to Orange to try and do one of those eight-ways about which we had heard. Would have had it, too, if the base and pin could have gotten together.:$
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

It was Norm Kent and you have seen the extension cord.:):P

Sparky

Given the stuff I've seen pictures of that freefall cameramen used to strap to themselves "back in the day"... I'm not sure you're kidding...
;)

:P:)

Sparky

Love that Exitus patch Mike ! I still remember seeing them jump at Z-Hills in 1977. Exitus invented the chunk exit and they were consistently disqualified from the speed star event at the Nationals year after year for using it. But they were onto something and they never gave it up. Anyway, we were down for the Easter Boogie from a small upstate NY dropzone and had never even been on a DC-3 before. We'd seen pics of Exitus in Parachutist, but seeing them sitting there on the load really excited us. And when they did their exit and pulled a huge chunk out like a bobsled team, it just blew our minds.

I like the Freak Bothers patch too. Does Linda Gies know you've got that ??

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Here are some more patches that haven't been around for a while:

1) SCR - participant in an 8-way or larger formation.
2) SCS - docked last on an 8-way or larger formation.
3) NSCR - participant in an 8-way or larger night-jump formation.

These are my own well-worn versions, which have been sewn to one end of my gear bag for over 20 years now.

Here are some more patches that haven't been around for a while:

1) SCR - participant in an 8-way or larger formation.
2) SCS - docked last on an 8-way or larger formation.
3) NSCR - participant in an 8-way or larger night-jump formation.

These are my own well-worn versions, which have been sewn to one end of my gear bag for over 20 years now.[/reply\
-----------------------------------------------------------
I have an MA-1 flight jacket somewhere that has all three of those patches on it plus a 16 way patch and a 24 way patch All Starcrest stuff. I guess it isnt really all that remarkable anymore.
bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Hey Boz...

Going through an old box of patches, I found a business card for Rick Moffett, LVNV...

---------------------------------------------------------
No kidding ! Rick and I go way back. When I started jumping he was already a jumpmaster with a whopping 100 jumps. He and I trained many SL students together at the old Las Vegas DZ after I got my rating.
Where the heck did you bump into Rick????
If I remember correctly hes still jumping with the Elvis impersonator impersonators..the Flying Elvi.

bozo

bozo

>>>Good question, I usually write down that info on the back of a business card...but his is blank. It was quite some time ago though.

If I remember correctly hes still jumping with the Elvis impersonator impersonators..the Flying Elvi.

>>>That's what the card says...but it's getting a bit yellowed!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

>>>Good question, I usually write down that info on the back of a business card...but his is blank. It was quite some time ago though.

>>>That's what the card says...but it's getting a bit yellowed!;)

------------------------------------------------------------
Hahahahaha well. when you consider we filmed that movie in 91......I jumped with the Flying Elvises until 96......and Rick is still at it almost ten years later, I bet that card is getting yellow.
Whats really a shame is that Rick dusts his gear off for two or three demos a year and hasnt made a fun jump in years.

bozimbo

bozo

And some I've picked up along the way...

That "beer team" skydiving patch could be a highly valuable collectible.

I'm familiar with the term "Wartha Fugawee", but what's the story behind how that got on a patch? Too many bad spots? Too many "out" landings?

Oh, and I noticed that all your patches are in like-new condition. Didn't you ever cover an old double-zipper jumpsuit with patches so that you looked like a quilt, and then drag 'em all over the ground in bad landings?

Here's a patch that I'll bet very few other people have (attached).

This is a "South Florida 8-way Star" patch. Pop Poppenhager (D-47) used to give these out in the late 70's and early 80's at his DZ in Indiantown, FL, for people who were having trouble getting their SCR patches from... that guy in California. The story I heard was that Pop got tired of hearing stories of people sending in their money and getting nothing back. So he made up his own patches and handed them out to people who qualified with an 8-way dive.

Mine is once-again well-worn, from spending 25 years being dragged around on my gear bag.

Rick is still in Vegas and still jumping with the 'Elvi", in fact we jumped last week and he stood up his landing.

Tell Rick hi from bozo next time you see him.
I'm still jumping even with all the artificial parts.

bozo

bozo

Rick is still in Vegas and still jumping with the 'Elvi", in fact we jumped last week and he stood up his landing.

Tell Rick hi from bozo next time you see him.
I'm still jumping even with all the artificial parts.

bozo

And tell him Twardo from The Liberty Parachute Team sends warm regards as well....I finally figured out it was at an ICAS convention that we met.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

WOW John! I had completely forgotten about those patches.I stated giving them out for reasons you mentioned but, it was in 1968 when the California guys did'nt believe we were doing 8 ways.
POP D47

Hi Pop! 1968 was before my time. I started jumping in 1978, and showed up at your DZ in 1980, with about 100 jumps, and a Crossbow rig with a red, white and blue Paracommander. Smitty followed me out a year later to watch my D-license style series qualification, and you signed me off.

Is your old Beaver still flying somewhere?

I've still got a video tape of your old black and white gun camera footage that someone put together - that's some good stuff!

Thanks for all those good times.

- John Rich