tbrown

1979 Meet at the Chicken Ranch

Anybody recall the meet hosted in 1979 at the Chicken Ranch brothel in Nevada ? They are of course one of the licensed establishments that flourish in Nevada and many of these places have their own air strips for clients to fly in and out of.

The way I remember it, the Chicken Ranch advertised a meet in '79 with events in Style, Accuracy, 4 Way and 8 Way RW events. They claimed to have a Twin Beech to support the meet and qualified judges. The events would be run according to the established rules. The prizes for winning competitors and teams included "freebies" with the ladies employed at the ranch. Never got there myself, as this just happened to be the weekend that the Iranian Revolution shut down all the gas stations in California. Then about a month later I met my wife anyway, but it was an adventure I wouldn't have minded making in my crazy single days, when "sex was safe and skydiving was dangerous". Anybody here able or willing to admit they might have actually been there ?

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Hey Tom,

As I recall, it was supported by 2 Twin Beeches, one of which was Spike Yarder. The other one did a ground loop on landing and was totaled. No serious injuries. And it was Fran's Star Ranch. Fran bought the wrecked plane and it sat in front of her place for several years.

The accuracy was won by one Sandy Calliham, the same one that just posted on Air Trash. And she used the prize herself.

Now this is the way it was told to me, being married at the time, I was not in attendance.:)

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I've still got my "Support Your Local Hooker" T-shirt.

I was at the meet in 1977, and was on the winning team in the 5 way scrambles. The prize was a 30 minute gift certificate, and according to my logbook entry the name of the prize was "Christine." Oh yes, there's a trophy.

The girls though my solid red Paradactyl looked like a giant valenetine.

Joe, knocking on the door in the morning: "Harry, are you up yet?"

Female voice from under the covers: "Not yet, but I'm working on it."

Blue Skies!

Harry
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

That was a great meet!
We flew Spike's Beech from Taft, put together a 10 man and watched a Beech buzz the runway. I remember thinking "Boy, Spike sure got down fast", then a longgg cloud of dust and the Beech 90 degrees to line of flight. We landed close by, and the 2 female type passangers get out laughing, asking "Can we do that again!?" I think that Beech was from Yolo or Pope Valley.
Norm Van Pelt bought me my 21st birthday present there. No, it wasn't a t-shirtB|
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

Hey Tom,

As I recall, it was supported by 2 Twin Beeches, one of which was Spike Yarder. The other one did a ground loop on landing and was totaled. No serious injuries. And it was Fran's Star Ranch. Fran bought the wrecked plane and it sat in front of her place for several years.

Sparky

-------------------------------------------------------
Right Sparky....Frans Star Ranch at Beatty Nevada.
The Beech that crashed was from Yolo.....its still sitting there off the runway out by the highway.
The last "Whorehouse Boogie" was supported by Van Pray from Cal City in the mid 90s....I was doing tandems. There were some interesting tradeouts being done.
Damn...those were some good times.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Guys, this is too funny, I know all of you ! Don't think I know you Frank, but I do know Norm. I was still back east in '77, so I'm still thinking the one I read about was '79, which would've been in my time frame. And it was on the very weekend that you couldn't get a drop of gasoline for ANYTHING in San Diego, the damn gas stations weren't even open and people were saving their gas so they could get to work on Monday (what a drag that was....). So I couldn't even get to where there was a plane, because somebody had a plane and was going, I can't remember who anymore.

Mike, I DID hear the story about the chick who won. Heard all the guys tried to sweet talk her out of it too, and she told 'em to what they could do about it - and walked off with a tall redhead !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Don't now how to do these "clicky" things, but go to

http://www.angelsladiesbrothel.com/airplane.htm

Fran sold the ranch a few years ago and it's now known as "Angel's Ladies"

none of us young 'uns know about most of it.

Nor will you until the statute of limitations runs out!
:):o;)B|

----------------------------------------------------------
Some of us are still married . :o)

bozo

bozo

----------------------------------------------------------
Some of us are still married . :o)

bozo

I was when I went there in 1979 -- two months later I wasn't.

Can't go back any more. Married again.

Harry

I don't think it was a redhead. I do remember Sandy talked to Fran for a minute about "Instead of one for an hour, how about two for a half hour?" Fran said OK. She takes one tall lithe woman by the hand, then looks at this TALL negro beauty with the other hand and starts heading to the back of the house. She stopped and looked at Fran, pointed to her boyfriend and said something like "I want him to watch what he's missing" Fran laughed and said go ahead. My poor little 21 year old brain was on overload about that time!
CRW Skies
Frank
CRW Diva #58

Your right Frank, the best I remember Sandy did take two ladies, and made, or let Bill Watch. Then there is the story of her catching him in the closet with some gal in the bar at the exchange club. LOL, Norm

I that Storm'n Norman I see posting on DZ.com? Hey Buddy, welcome.B|

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The women look kinda scary,

Whew...Glad I wasn't the only one that thinks so!
B|

------------------------------------------------------------
You guys cut it out , those are some of Nevadas finest.

bozo

bozo

The women look kinda scary,

Whew...Glad I wasn't the only one that thinks so!
B|

bozo

Well the standards have been lowered since I lived there then.;)

Of course, after TLML left ...

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

bozo

Well the standards have been lowered since I lived there then.;)

Of course, after TLML left ...

---------------------------------------------------------
Of course...that goes without saying , Jack.

bozo

bozo

Harry, was this the same trip Perry Armstrong was on, when his Dactyl folded up on him before landing, fracturing just about everything south of his knees & having to be hauled off to the hospital ?

Bully D-6450

That's the trip -- Actually, I think it was everything south of his pelvis. Isn't that where he first got the hardware in his femur?

Let's all sing a "Hymn" to his memory!

Blue Skies!

Harry