steve1

Back when I was an airborne trooper...

I've got some old army jump pictures. If you are really bored you might want to see them. This picture was taken when I was going through S.F. weapons training at Bragg, back in 1970. I'm the good looking young feller on the right. The old HALO building is in the background.....Steve1

This is my A-team preparing for a night jump in Utah. Some of these guys were scared to jump, but they still jumped every time they stood in the door. Since I was a bad ass skydiver I used to tease some of them over this. Some of the strained looks on some of these faces were from worry....

Those pictures ROCK!! I love to see those vintage Airborne memories.

Here is my early "Airborne" days, I was a "Leg" and made the team and went to Jump School on the way to the team.

Now that is some scary Sxxt!!!

By the way, Your photos are much more impressive than my "pretty boy" pictures.

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I went to try-outs for the jumps..............who would have thought a leg fun-jumper would make it?!?!

Then I was fired for some car wreck, atfer the air show, thing, anyway, its all good ;)

You can't keep a good man down!!!
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I ran across another old jump picture from 1970. This was just prior to our first jump. This isn't a real aircraft door. What do you think of that jump helmet. We called them steel pots back then. The guy standing behind me ended up with a severe concussion on jump three, when the wind came up. A better helmet may have prevented that. Do they still take this jump picture at Jump School?....Steve1

Those pictures ROCK!! I love to see those vintage Airborne memories.

Here is my early "Airborne" days, I was a "Leg" and made the team and went to Jump School on the way to the team.

Now that is some scary Sxxt!!!

By the way, Your photos are much more impressive than my "pretty boy" pictures.

Arvel

You kinda look like Dr. Smith!:P

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I ran across another old jump picture from 1970.

Mine below's from '86. Damn, almost 20 years.

We called them steel pots back then.

Steel pot on this one too. Although we jumped with kevlars.

Do they still take this jump picture at Jump School?

Looks like the style changes from year to year. This one's a bit more rah, rah, USA, but I think the mock door one's a bit cooler.

Check out my protectin' that reserve baby! I think there was a pillow in there...;)

Here a photo taken of myself and another Rigger in Hondo in 1991. I am on the right. Having spent like four months down there it offered me alot of chances to work on my tan, jumping and some good old education thanks to the military.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Very cool pics of "back-n-tha day" steve!B|

One evening back in '81 I found myself sitting around a dz campfire with quite a mixed group of folks.Most of the guys on one side were ex-military with jump experience.....on the other side of the fire was a motley collection of college kids. One of the military fellas said "you kids think you know what a good time is....you haven't lived till you've made a midnight drop from a C-130 at 500ft, over woods that are 20 miles deep...and then you hike back."
One little hippie with those round John Lenon glasses, leaned back against a tree, and after a long pull on a joint said...."I dont know maaaan, sounds like a hassle to me":D

i went thru benning in '00. we were in the last class to use bdu's for pt, now they wear the pt uniform. and no more woodchips, it's all pea gravels. but man they dropped me from the slt maybe 100 times, i couldn't keep my feet and knees together. i was bleeding from the eyes, nose, mouth, ears, chin and neck when i got done. my first jump, i was in the door checking out the scenery, thinking "this is low!" and when i went out, i started looking around and hit the ground before i got a slip. i was used to a good canopy ride! a blackhat came up to me and told me he knew i was a skydiver, said that if he saw me crossing my feet again, he'd send me home.

Some old SF stuff, back in late 70s.

1= lean and mean -- notice the medical scissors in the top left pocket. The "unofficial " sign you were an SF medic! LOL!
2= out on SCUBA mission (the guy on my left is Mark Goode - he's in Iraq as a contractor - he retired SF (I think)

4= graduating UWO at Key West. (recognixe any of these SFers?

Recognize anybody else. In the boat photo, the guy with his back to me was an old crusty SFC or MSG. One cool UWO guy. The other guy was an LT (West Pointer -- I think)

In the UWO grad class, Sgt Godbey (demo/medic) Sgt Holder (buff dude) SSGT Simmons (blonde ) I heard he was an Warrant Officer on a team, or went OCS and became a XO or something.