tonybrogdon

Perris Valley Skydiving Society

How many remember and were members of PVSS re-opening Perris August 1985 after being shutdown for two months?
--------------------------------------------------------

Ive still got the PVSS card in my logbook cover.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I still have some of the bookkeeping stuff in my garage!

Are you going to make it to Old Farts next month?

Blue Skies!

Harry Leicher
Treasurer, PVSS
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

How many remember and were members of PVSS re-opening Perris August 1985 after being shutdown for two months?

I came across this old bumper sticker that brings back a lot of memories.

I still have my PVSS card. Turns out that PVSS #s were the basis for the "new" Perris manifest numbers (still used today, that's why mine is so frickken low). I'll try and find it (the card) this weekend along with a whole bunch of the N 817 (areo costa neuva)/ 150 photos'. I have a great pic of the pilot (and his girl friend) looking bloodied and pissed off (probably at me for taking his picture at that time). Ahh......... good times. What a year that was. Also have a great shot of the SCAT otter (anyone remember that?)
with it's nose in the ground after an aborted take off: Circa Thanks giving 1983.

Mick.

Hi Tony!,
Remember? Hell, how can I forget!! 57Ugly fire, then Ben shut the place down!!, nearest place to jump was Cal City!!! then someone(S) I don't know who started it but the PVSS thing evolved and the rest is history. BTW got the sticker,"Skydiving's HOTTER at Perris."

All that was just 19 years ago!! Time Flys!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Hi Bill;

PVSS was formed by 9 skydivers plus Ralph Greer who wrote the waiver and did the video.

Gary Douis was President
Myself and Ivan Henery were Vice Presidents
Harry Leicher was Treasurer
Steve Mack was Secretary
Al Frisby was Director of Saftey Committee
Kate Cooper
Tony Dell
Al Krueuger was our first manager then Jerry Swolvin was second.

PVSS ran Perris for two years.

Did you get to jump the Screamin Mimi Helicopter from the TV program Riptide?
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

I jumped the Riptide helicopter and Travolta's DC3. Does anyone have photos of those birds?

As I recall, someone ripped off the batteries out of the helicopter, and so the owners got pissed and removed it from the dz. There was also a diecast model available at the time. I gave one to my wife's little brother. Damn, wish I would have kept that.

Russ

We were still jumping up in Ramona and I'm bent over and packing when a strange van slides to a stop in a big cloud of smoke. Back slides the door and out tumbles Mark Sechler, Alan Ricther, and about five others, also in a big cloud of smoke.

Frank Mott looks my way, spits out a ball of tobacco juice and says, "Something's up at Perris."

Nick :)BASE 194

Also have a great shot of the SCAT otter (anyone remember that?)
with it's nose in the ground after an aborted take off: Circa Thanks giving 1983.

I remember that load...my 4-way team was seated in the back by the door. Our FF, BK Jones, was the only one sent to the hospital to my knowledge. He was back in the air a few days later though. I wrote a few observations on the incident in my logbook that night at the BombShelter but it's mostly illegible. Probably because we decided to forego an early start at training the next day in favor of Jose Cuervo...

pms

Frank Mott looks my way, spits out a ball of tobacco juice and says, "Something's up at Perris."

Speaking of which...

I was out at Gillespie 3 weeks ago, playing with my ole
roomie's airplane (Limond) when who should walk by
but Frank Mott!B|:)
I haven't seen him since the Ramona / Barona daze..:ph34r:

He has a shop of some kind there in Santee / Cajon...

Still the same old Frank!!!:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Frank Mott was President of the Marine Corps Parachute Club aboard Camp Pendleton, in California, the "Falling Eagles" they were called when I first met him. I was already out of the Corps but he was doing my rigging, before I became a rigger myself.

I showed up at one of their demo jumps on the base. I got a haircut and just showed up. I was a local and very current demo jumper and just wanted to jump a Huey again, the bird I did my first freefall from when I was student, but before I knew how cool turbine helicopters were.

Colonel Henrey, I'd taken the photographs at his wedding, told me not to bounce, or it would be their careers. I walked into the ready room and right away somebody was giving me the stink-eye. Although I'd gotten a haircut, my mustache was too long and here he comes. A Marine Major and he stops an inch or two from my face and says, "You're not a Marine."
"No Sir, I'm a Corpsman assigned to a local ship." I fibbed.
"What ship?
"The John Paul Jones," I said as innocently as possible . . . hoping that was actually the name of a current ship in the fleet.

I landed and gave Marine Corps General Poggemeier the thumbs up before I got the hell out of there . . .

And then I discovered BASE jumping . . .

I came across this old bumper sticker that brings back a lot of memories.

"Lots of memories...3 classes a day, dorm rooms, sneakin out of the girls dorms....."
http://www.curtisglennphotography.com

Frank Mott was President of the Marine Corps Parachute Club aboard Camp Pendleton, in California, the "Falling Eagles" they were called when I first met him. I was already out of the Corps but he was doing my rigging, before I became a rigger myself.

I met Frank at our house there in Santee...

I had just 'walked' on Don M, after experiencing
"Personality" differences!:)

Frank pulls up in the driveway the next afternoon,
bottle of bourbon in hand and says
"Let's have a drink, we need to talk!"

I started working as an Instructor for him by the
2nd drink!! :$

He drove me to Ramona and showed me all his gear,
and ask me if I knew Ralph or Nick...
When I said " No " he said " Good! " you'll be fine.:P

He was bringing over a dozen or so Marines at a time to get
S/L training...Best students in the world!

Already geared to learning and in great physical shape...
"Bounce Proof" he called them.

We moved the operation to the Barona Indian Reservation...
All the 'jumpers' were walking the field to remove the BFR's from the "Runway"...:S

"Ralph" is telling me his story about flying the 182 with no windshield...:o
and "Nick" keeps commenting on how the reservation DZ idea
is great...NO FEDS!!B|

I figured THAT must be what Frank was talking about when he
thought it a good thing we all hadn't met..YET!!:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

John

Steve Mack and me were on the Scream'n Mimi when it broke a rotar belt on the main rotar at 11 grand over Sun City. Our alitmeters showed us dropping like a rock so all 16 of us looked at each other for a couple of seconds and we all bailed out in a flash. That was a scary jump. I will never forget how great it looked the first time it arrived at the Perris DZ with Ralph Greer in the right seat.
Tony Brogdon
D-12855

>>I figured THAT must be what Frank was talking about when he thought it a good thing we all hadn't met..YET!!<<

Frank had grounded Ralph and me for a month after a bandit night jump, LOL, that's why he needed you . . .