base698

container lock due to pin

A REALLY tight closing loop and a curved pin inserted all the way into the closing loop also creates a possibility for a pilot chute in tow. The correct size/material combination of your pilot chute also makes a big difference. See Bill Booth's post: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=forumgear&Number=141055&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post141055
Respectfully,
SP

I dont buy the realy tight closing loop theory, as long as the rest of the system is properly made.
A good PC will create a pull of +/- 60 Lbs. If the main compartment was closed manualy, I dont see it staying closed. Now, if there isnt enough slack "behind" the pin for it to move, or there is a packing error, or the PC is not properly made/maintained/cocked, then yes.
Also, the type of pin helps. There are still some welded pins out there (these have round pin cross section, as opposed to the flatter ones) and those have been known to fail at the weld point. if you see one of those, you may want to suggest to the jumper that its time to change it.
Remster
Muff 914

>I dont buy the realy tight closing loop theory, as long as the rest of the system
>is properly made.
There are a lot of factors here. As you mention, a bad PC may cause a problem. Dirt or corrosion on the pin, a poor body position causing half a bridle wrap, a low speed deployment (hop and pop) or bad grommets can also cause troubles. I think that most PC-in-tows are a combination of several of these problems.
-bill von

>k so quick ? what pin is better to use, the strait pin or the curved pin??
Not really much question there - curved if the pull is perpindicular to the plane of the rig (i.e. a throwout) straight if it is in one direction only parallel to the rig (i.e. pullout or ripcord.)
-bill von