jonstark

Early crew?

I remember in mid 76 seeing a couple of guys in Deland, Ricki-tikki Rundel and Mike Barber and Bobby and Matt, doing the earliest crew I can think of. They all had Strato-Stars and/or homebuilts. On April 27th 77, I got my first canopy hook-up with Lew Sanborn. It was his first as well. I had a Strato-Star and Lew had a Cloud. He bottom docked me and we rode it for 1000'.

Some time later the Toad Suckers were really hanging it out and pushing the envelope. I was sitting around the fire with them at Z-Hills one night and made the uninformed statement that CRW "is like RW in slow motion". I was immediately reminded by one of them that "It ain't so slow when you're wrapped up and slingin' around in the strings!" I had to agree having experienced a couple of simple collapses.

What ever happened to Dem Toad Suckers?

What are the earliest controlled docks that y'all remember?

I did my first two stack in April 78 over Moberly MO with a guy named Greg Henry. It was probably the first stack in Missouri, unless the KCMO guys got something together. Two Stratostars. I seem to recall it being suggested that we leave the airport--it took a while for new ideas to move into the heartland from California or Florida. TAK 4stack1190

I remember there being some stacks being built around Greene County in Xenia in 1976 and 1977 when I was there. Pat Valley and Karen Dean.. Dennis Dean.. I think... And perhaps Capt Dudley.. but I forget, it was a long time ago. Some of the Greene County types might be able to help.. Jim West perhaps?????? I know Greene is out there;)

I'm trying to find the link to it put the world record for the largest stack was over Xenia in mid 79. The 10 way stack stood as a state record till this spring. It was a world record for only a few weeks since they beat the 10 with a 12 over Richmond at the nationals that year.

Pat was the first woman to reach 3000 jumps in 1978.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Woo hoo... Lee sent me the link. www.ohiocrw.org/memorial.html

The Dogs and Angels from the Early Ages of CReW at Xenia

In the late 1970's, when canopy relative work was still in its infancy, a group of jumpers formed at Skydive Greene County in Xenia, Ohio that expanded the frontiers of CReW, setting one record after another. Many of the records were all female ones and the group was largely driven by its female members. One of them was Patt Valley (see picture).

The first all-women 4-stack was completed on August 31st 1978 in Xenia. The participants in docking order are Karen Dean, Patt Valley, Nancy Kurlin, and Suzanne Shearer. These four women formed the 4-way CReW team the "Falling Angels". Over the summer of `78 the team had already done plenty of exhibition jumps at air shows with 2- and 3-stacks.

Shortly thereafter, on September 23 and 25, they joined up with a larger group of Xenia jumpers (including men) and completed 8-stacks with Karen Dean piloting and Patt Valley docking second. On the second 8-stack Suzanne Shearer docked last and thus received the first ever female CCS Award. On those jumps they did in fact attempt already 10-stacks that would have broken the current world record. The new world records had to wait until the next year though.

On June 23rd 1979 the group finally managed a 10-stack, breaking the current world record of nine. Like all the previous ones this jump was done in Xenia, Ohio, and to the best of my knowledge it is still the standing Ohio state record. The participants in docking order were Karen Dean, Don Bucklin, Nancy Kurlin, Patt Valley, Brian Barrett, Jim Fangmeyer , Jayne Marchant, Roger C.Garder II, Chris H. Milliken, Scot Haslam.

Things became more serious during the "The Boogie"/USPA-Nationals at the beginning of July 1979 in Richmond, Indiana (only 65 miles away from Xenia). It was in fact the second to last boogie of its kind, organized by Garth Teggert (one of the skydivers in "Gypsy Moth"). Only a year later all skydivers were banned for the following seven years from Richmond because of the infamous Holiday Inn Party that ensued during the boogie.

The `79-Richmod Boogie included CReW competition and official record attempts. In the course of it, on July 5th, the Xenia group of jumpers set a new 11-stack world record. This was in fact a 12-way at first but was held for only 35 seconds. As Scott Haslam tried to dock 13th his canopy wrapped the 12th person in the stack (Chris Milliken or Jayne Marchant) and he had to cut-away. Due to the tension the stack broke at Andy Spurlock's foot into smaller stacks, which made Andy decide to double wrap the lines around his ankle for the next jumps. The group and their competitors continued to build 8- and 9-stacks in their attempts over the next couple of days.

On July 6th two CReW teams were on jumprun in a DC-3 over Richmond. The first one to exit, a local group called "Cheap Trick", completed a 10-stack. The second team was the one from Xenia attempting a 13-way. They manged to complete a 12-way holding it for one minute and 41 seconds, with Scot Haslam too short in time to dock 13th. This 12-stack set the new world recod and, after completition, was then split into a 5-stack and a 7-stack. The participants were in docking order Karen Dean, Don Bucklin, Nancy Kurlin, Patt Valley, Andy Spurlock, Terry Burris, Jeff Saunders, Brian Barrett, Jim Fangmeyer, Roger Gardner, Jayne Marchant, Chris Milliken, (Scot Haslam). Andy's double wrapping technique apparently injured (broke?) his ankle on this jump.

The world record of the Xenia jumpers remained standing until a year later, when a 13-way was completed in England.

I am very grateful to Karen Dean, Pasi Pirttikoski, and Lee West for providing me with the accounts that are summarized in this expository.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yep, Greene is always here. Always around :)

Been around since 1961. And I also realize you had to have been one our young fledings!! A true SGC skydiver! You are and always have been people from our past that we love to keep up with.

Would love to hear from you. e mail Jim and Lee West at [email protected]

SGC
since 1961
http://www.skydiveohio.com

What ever happened to Dem Toad Suckers?

There are plenty of Them ToadSuckers still around. I'm sure if you post your question in the CRW forum, you will get more CRW history.

Kevin K.
TS 46
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

April, 1974 was the famous toronado in Xenia, Ohio.

I will try to answer, what has happened to the originals. I think I have it correct. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Miss Famous "the lady" Patt Valley Roberts, deceased, 2003, cancer.

Nancy Kurlin alive and still skydiving in Florida.

Suzzane Shearer "Pike" skydiving related in Florida,
Karen Dean SSK in Lebanon, Ohio, Don Bucklin, medical doctor in Ariziona, Brian Barrett, ?, Jim Fangmeyer Flying Elvis, still at SGC, Roger Gardner, flying in the center of hurricians for the goverment, still in Louisiana?, Chris Milliken, deceased, cancer,
Andy Spurlock ?. Terris Burris, ?, Jeff Sanders, deceased with "Cowboys Caravan", Jayne Marchant Haslam, and Scott Haslam, deceased, private aircraft accident.

P.S. this is a very quick recount and memories on my part, and I may not be correct on all, but I think I remember it correctly.

Skies blue,
and much love to our SGC CRW members that have been lost to us over the years.

Lee and Jim

What a great history of the Xenia folks! I was always impressed with their friendliness and abilities.

I just want to make a correction to the history of the record jump on July 6, 1979. It is regarding the group Cheap Trick (named after a popular singing group of the time) and its origins. I organized the group as a "pickup" team. It was not a local group, as stated in this brief history. We gathered whomever seemed to have some semblance of CRW experience and decided to have a friendly challenge with the Xenia folks. We never envisioned that we would get close to winning the informal competition.

We did indeed build a legal 10-stack (I closed 10th) and had an 11 stack for about 15 seconds as we approached 1,200 ft. It was unlikely we would have held it for 60 seconds, and we were having some oscillation issues. As was common in those days, many went by nicknames, and those are what I recorded in my log book. Here are the folks in the stack, in order of entry: Flash, Jerry, Hot Dog, Mark, Lizard, Robin, Finnegan, Gary, Jim (Griggs??), Tom Courbat and Dago.

If anyone was in this stack and can shed more light on who they were and where they were from, that would be great!

Blue skies!!
Tom Courbat
Organized World's 1st 8-Stack - Livermore, CA - Oct 22-23, 1977. Broke neck on 2nd attempt. CCR 9/CCS 35. Started CCR/CCS Program & sold to USPA. SCR 572/SCS 1000

What are the earliest controlled docks that y'all remember?

I'm thinking '77 or '78.We built the 1st Texas 5 way at League City somewhere in that time frame('77???),and I have a photo of it somewhere that I will scan in.....it was fairly stable but scary looking with the canopy mix......and I always carried a hook knife:P

Marc SCR 6046 SCS 3004

I was at the 1979 Nationals. I drove there with a fellow soldier from Ft. Campbell, Ky. We had planned on spending the couple of bucks we had on a few dives just to say we had been there. Unfortunately, my friend lost the keys to the car and we spent the little bit of money we had on a locksmith.

We did manage to make a dive or two.

Already into CRW, and with a lifetime of CReW jumping in front of me, I can't believe I missed the opportunity to jump with some of the CRW people present at the meet.

Some of the names are familiar, and I think I caught up with a few of you out at Perris when I got out of the Army.

Still doing CRW.

Russ Pinney
70-way Participant, #69

http://bapinney.com/russ/1979 parachute championships.jpg
http://bapinney.com/russ/1979 boogie.jpg

B|
Hi Russ,

On our pick-up team, Cheap Trick, we had I believe an Army sergeant who was new at shooting video (well, Super-8 actually) at the time. We brought him on the loads and he filmed some pretty grainy stuff that I have a copy of, including our 11-stack.

Do you have any idea who that might have been?
Tom Courbat
Organized World's 1st 8-Stack - Livermore, CA - Oct 22-23, 1977. Broke neck on 2nd attempt. CCR 9/CCS 35. Started CCR/CCS Program & sold to USPA. SCR 572/SCS 1000

The first picture is Michael Owens and Bob Ceylea attempted CRW with Piglet Mains sometime in early 1978

The next picture is from Feb. 1979. It started as a 5 stack but the last man on dropped off at around 2,000.
It is the first 4 or larger stack built in So. Cal. I believe. We landed it without breaking before touch down. Bad, Bad.

From the top: Mark Seckler, (deceased) on a paradactyl, Tim Long on a Strato Star, Bill Hallam on a Strato Star, Michael Owens on a Strato Cloud.
The fifth man who dropped off was Burr Gompers, (deceased) canopy unknown.

Sparky, I am the one on the Strato Cloud.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Sorry Tom, I don't know who the Army Sergeant was. He wasn't from the 101st Airborne, I can tell you that.

I started doing CRW in the Army back in '78 or '79 and then came home (So. Cal.) and picked up with Doc Johnson and the Perris CReW. Did we ever meet at Perris?

Russ

B|
VERY cool night CF pix. Love the city lights in the background, and the great job of holding the two canopies together.

We MAY have met at Perris. I worked with Doc and the Perris CReW a bit from time to time, but was living up in Northern CA (Redding) at the time, and mostly jumped Corning, Yolo, Livermore, Antioch and Pope Valley. I came down here from time to time for boogies, etc.

Now I live in Murrieta, about 10 min. from Elsinore and 20 minutes from Perris, but can't jump due to health issues. What a bummer - they are SO close!
Tom Courbat

Does anyone have any pictures of early CRW?

Here's some from 1976 or 77. Self on Strato Star, Graeme Windsor on Strato Cloud. We didn't have much finesse back then - but we had a lot of fun. Mind you, we didn't know any different.

fergs